Insight 2015

nick_leeson
OLAP Product: TM1 9x, BPC, Hyperion, HANA
Version: TM1 10
Excel Version: Excel 2003 - 2010

Insight 2015

Post by nick_leeson »

Hi All,

A very well written summary from Yuri on Insight 2015 http://ykud.com/blog/ibm/insight-2015-recap

Any other feedback

Cheerio
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Insight 2015

Post by Alan Kirk »

CAFE finally catches up with perspectives, we are getting Action buttons and Active Forms + most of the Perspectives formulas will work in CAFE. This is big, all the simple existing reports should ‘just work’ with CAFE and it’ll finally let us switch from Citrix in WAN environments. Yay!
I disagree that "this is big". This is not big, this is a Joe Biden-sized freaking huge deal. If everything works as expected (eventually; I'm still a realist) it will radically change how most of us deploy TM1. Not overnight perhaps, but in the not too distant future. I'd argue that this change is probably a bigger one than "Planning Workspace". (Nee "Prism" which yes, as I have stated many times could never be the real name for that application given what a foot-shot that would have been.)

But I'm still looking forward to getting my hands on it anyway.

The back end changes are of interest, but I'll wait and see on those.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
ykud
MVP

Post by ykud »

Gee, thanks for sharing )

As for CAFE: well, it was the idea from the beginning, but now it really looked close to working in the demos. VBS wouldn't work, but DBRWs, SUBNMs and Active Forms should work the same from the box. And CAFE has 'Convert to values' button ;)

Let's wait and see, they have to make it work to ensure cloud is adopted.
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

It's a point I heard a few times at Insight: those of us used to perspectives are having trouble moving to Cafe. Those who haven't used TM1 before tend to love it. I'm guessing in couple of years there'll be a few perspectives die hards that's about it. I wasn't aware of the feederless calculation bit. That'll be interesting. I do hope they add more functions to rules, but I guess they need to learn to walk first.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

ykud wrote: As for CAFE: well, it was the idea from the beginning, but now it really looked close to working in the demos. VBS wouldn't work, but DBRWs, SUBNMs and Active Forms should work the same from the box. And CAFE has 'Convert to values' button ;)

Let's wait and see, they have to make it work to ensure cloud is adopted.
I knew from the AU Cubewise conference that that was the path that they were going down, but I didn't think they were anywhere near close yet; as in years rather than months.

Convert to values is good... but bulk paste would be better. :)
Jim Wood wrote:I'm guessing in couple of years there'll be a few perspectives die hards that's about it.
I'm not so sure. If these features deliver and if "Planning Workspace" still allows metadata maintenance by .xdi or .xru (or similar) then I'm not sure I see a reason for persisting with Perspectives. The only thing that would be left that Perspectives would have over TI is the TI editor and even that presupposes that they don't deliver something better than the effluent that passes for an editor in Performance Muddler. In particular getting the monkey of poor WAN performance off our back would be worth it. The only excuse for staying with Perspectives would be a chronic unwillingness to learn new tools.

But I reiterate, that's if this stuff works as advertised.
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Paul Segal
Community Contributor
Version: TM1 11 and up
Excel Version: Too many to count

Post by Paul Segal »

Convert to values is good... but bulk paste would be better.
According to what I saw at the London Cubewise conference I think they have the bulk paste sorted as well.
Paul
moby91
MVP
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by moby91 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFcBe_fK_-s
The New IBM Planning Analytics Cognos Offering

Learn more about the New IBM Planning Analytics Cognos TM1, BI and Cloud offering that was announced at IBM Insight 2015 from the IBM Cognos TM1 Product Manager himself, Dave Corbett.

Starting at 4:55 Dave Corbett talks about the future of TM1 on prem, what they plan for 2016.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

moby91 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFcBe_fK_-s
The New IBM Planning Analytics Cognos Offering

Learn more about the New IBM Planning Analytics Cognos TM1, BI and Cloud offering that was announced at IBM Insight 2015 from the IBM Cognos TM1 Product Manager himself, Dave Corbett.

Starting at 4:55 Dave Corbett talks about the future of TM1 on prem, what they plan for 2016.
That was a very useful video, thanks for the link. I thought that the interviewer seemed to be in stunned mullet mode from a couple of minutes in, merely muttering "OK.... OK.... great... yeah... wow...yeah, aaaahw-some" at appropriate intervals; then I rewound it and checked her title. "Director of Marketing". Ah. That explains it.

But thankfully Dave Corbett didn't need much in the way of insightful, understand-the-product-and-its-use questions; he seemed to have everything he needed to get across memorised, and kept it succinct and information-rich.

(Aside: I thought Dave C was an American and indeed he does appear to be from his Linked In profile, but I'll swear that I'm hearing some "oot"s and "aboot"s creeping into his accent. Perhaps he's spending a lot of time in Ottawa these days.)

Must remember that "Prism" is "Planning Analytics Workspace", must remember that "Prism" is "Planning Analytics Workspace". Because as Dave Corbett said at the beginning:
Interviewer: "There's a lot going on this year with the launch of IBM Planning Analytics. Is this the new Cognos TM1?"
DC: "It's not. So the name 'Planning Analytics' is... it's an offering. It's our cloud offering that's going to be... live for customers on November 24th. ... It's an umbrella offering that includes Watson Analytics, BI, and TM1."

So Planning Analytics is not TM1, but "Planning Analytics Workspace" is one of the four enhancements in the next release of TM1. But Planning Analytics itself is not TM1 as such.

Right, got it.

At a guess... that name came out of IBM's marketing department, didn't it?

I take back everything that I said about the N.S.A. and the name Prism. Can we go back to that name please? At least it was easy to remember, and wasn't a TM1 component which bears the name of a package that TM1 is part of, but which isn't actually TM1.

I'm not sure what Cognos Command Centre is (though it may be the metadata management tool that I saw at an IBM presentation a few years back), but if it's crafted with all the care and skill that was put into Cognos Configuration for TM1 then I'm going to need to get out my soccer ball and give it one H3LL of a kicking up and down a field for a few hours. I have come to dread any Cognos software which does not consist entirely of the words "Cognos" and "TM1". Except CAFE, I have to admit that's pretty decent, so maybe I should give it the benefit of the doubt.

I think that on the front end... we're all effectively going to have to re-learn pretty much everything about the product. And when you think about things like the natural query language in Watson Analytics amongst other things, the amount that we'll need to learn will vastly exceed the amount that we've ever needed to learn about the existing clients.

Interesting times ahead.
-----------
ykud
MVP

Post by ykud »

I'm not sure what Cognos Command Centre is (though it may be the metadata management tool that I saw at an IBM presentation a few years back)
I guess the tool you saw was Business Viewpoint (and it's a real mess imho).

Cognos Command Centre is something that was previously Star Analytics -- orchestration tools for OLAP engines
http://looksmarter.blogspot.com.au/2013 ... y-ibm.html
It's actually quite good to monitor TI execution in real time, chain them, run various scenarios, etc -- way better than what we have in TM1 (to be more precise: nothing). There was a preso on how Amazon uses it for their TM1 maintenance and they were extremely happy with it (Streamlining TM1 Administration with Cognos Command Center at Amazon - 3926A).
I'd post a link to the PDF, but they haven't uploaded them yet.
moby91
MVP
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by moby91 »

ykud wrote:
I'm not sure what Cognos Command Centre is (though it may be the metadata management tool that I saw at an IBM presentation a few years back)
I guess the tool you saw was Business Viewpoint (and it's a real mess imho).

Cognos Command Centre is something that was previously Star Analytics -- orchestration tools for OLAP engines
http://looksmarter.blogspot.com.au/2013 ... y-ibm.html
It's actually quite good to monitor TI execution in real time, chain them, run various scenarios, etc -- way better than what we have in TM1 (to be more precise: nothing). There was a preso on how Amazon uses it for their TM1 maintenance and they were extremely happy with it (Streamlining TM1 Administration with Cognos Command Center at Amazon - 3926A).
I'd post a link to the PDF, but they haven't uploaded them yet.

In the meantime a slide deck available for download of a presentation on IBM Cognos Command Center (CCC) held at IBM Vision 2014:

FPM-1288: Expert Exchange: Using IBM Cognos TM1 and IBM Cognos Command Center

Show Details
Join us at this hour-long, informal session for the opportunity to discuss your technical questions and design practices with product experts and developers. As deployments of IBM Cognos TM1 expand and touch more and more areas of your business, the automation and monitoring of these applications becomes more and more important. Experts on IBM Cognos Command Center and IBM Cognos TM1 Operations Console will show you how these two products can work together to take your Cognos TM1 management to the next level. This session is for Cognos TM1 operational administrators who are looking for more robust tooling to enhance their Cognos TM1 deployments.

Track: Financial and Operational Performance Management

Speakers: Peter Thomas, IBM ; Quinlan Eddy, IBM

Presentation: https://www-950.ibm.com/events/wwe/visi ... 4_1288.pdf
kangkc
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1, PA , TMVGate
Version: 2.x
Excel Version: 36x

Post by kangkc »

Planning Analytics has a 15 days free trial

http://www.ibm.com/analytics/us/en/busi ... anagement/
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

kangkc wrote:Planning Analytics has a 15 days free trial

http://www.ibm.com/analytics/us/en/busi ... anagement/
That may be locale-specific. I'm not seeing any such offer on that page here in Australia. I am however seeing this:
IBM Web Page wrote:IBM announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire The Weather Company’s B2B, mobile and cloud-based web properties, including WSI, weather.com, Weather Underground and The Weather Company brand. The TV segment –The Weather Channel –will not be acquired by IBM, but will license weather forecast data and analytics from IBM under a long-term contract.
I see where they're going with this in respect of Watson Analytics, but I remain more than a tad sceptical about it. It's interesting, though.
-----------
Andy Key
MVP
Version: 2.5 to PA
Excel Version: Lots

Post by Andy Key »

Andy Key