User reporting Unable to open the saved private views.

manu0521
OLAP Product: IBM TM1, Planning Analytics
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

User reporting Unable to open the saved private views.

Post by manu0521 »

Hi,

User has created a private subset and when he tries to open the subset via tm1 perspective , he gets the below error
"Not enough memory available to display 85643 by 471 view"

This happens with all saved subsets.

He has an inbuilt memory ram of 8gb.

Any help on how to trouble shoot the issue is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: User reporting Unable to open the saved private views.

Post by Wim Gielis »

The user has created a cube view that is way too big, from a memory consumption point of view.
It's the RAM memory on the server by the way.
In TM1, the TM1s.cfg file for a TM1 model can specify a maximal amount or memory to be consumed by any cubeview in the system.
That property is called MaximumViewSize.
You can change that value, and/or educate your users not to create views that are memory-intensive, and/or inspect why that view consumes a lot of memory.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
manu0521

Post by manu0521 »

Wim GIelis,

Even I suspected the same, but he has a 8 gb ram memory and the views are not so big and other users are able to save and open private views on that cube. so is it something do with the user , how do we go about this ?
Paul Segal
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 11 and up
Excel Version: Too many to count

Post by Paul Segal »

As Wim said. it doesn't matter how much memory the user has on his PC, it's the memory on the server (where the calc is being done) that matters. To echo Wim: either change the MaximumViewSize or educate the user not to attempt to pull down such a large view or figure out why that view is causing problems. Does that same view give an issue if you recreate it under your user name?
Paul
manu0521

Post by manu0521 »

No it doesnt create the issue when done under my user name ?so thats the reason I am not sure how it could happen

Thanks,
Paul Segal
Community Contributor
Version: TM1 11 and up
Excel Version: Too many to count

Post by Paul Segal »

So, what happens when you create that view, make it public, and the user tries to open the public version?
Paul
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

manu0521 wrote:No it doesnt create the issue when done under my user name ?so thats the reason I am not sure how it could happen
The subject line talks about views, your original post talks about subsets. It's a lot easier to answer a question when time is taken to describe the problem correctly. And fully.

The error comes from a view that exceeds the amount of memory allocated for views on the server as has been mentioned a few times now. If you claim that this is not happening on your login, then I'd be very surprised if you are using a view which is exactly the same in all respects as the other user. To prove this one way or the other, would you care to upload the relevant .vue and, if applicable, .sub files for examination?
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
manu0521

Post by manu0521 »

The user creates ma simple private view and I am able to open the same view, but he is not.
What would be the next step to look for . Does the error gets noticed on users machine. If so where will be present.

Thanks,
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

manu0521 wrote:The user creates ma simple private view and I am able to open the same view,
Really? You can open another user's private view? You, alone amongst the entire user community of TM1, can do what nobody else can do.

A private view is, by definition, private to the user who has created it. It can't be opened by other users, including admins. It can be copied to other users, but that ain't the same thing. And unless the security for both users is also identical, you won't necessarily get the same results from copying a view anyway.
manu0521 wrote:but he is not.

What would be the next step to look for .
That would be the step mentioned in the previous post.

Upload. Both. .vue. Files. And the related .sub files, if you are using named subsets.

Until then we only have your word for the two views being the same.
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
manu0521

Post by manu0521 »

Sorry I was not clear, I know that we cant open a private view, I created a similar view with same parameters he used for the dimensions in the cube and tried reopening it from my end and I dint get any error. I will make this view public and ask the user to see if he has issue accessing this view.

Where should I get the .vue or .sub files from , will this be there in the clients or users machine ? or you need it for the view that I created from my Data Folder.

Thanks,
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

manu0521 wrote:Sorry I was not clear, I know that we cant open a private view, I created a similar view with same parameters he used for the dimensions in the cube and tried reopening it from my end and I dint get any error.
In my experience "similar" does not always equal "identical". As mentioned in the Request For Assistance Guidelines this fact is often the difference between what is happening, and what you think is happening.
manu0521 wrote:I will make this view public and ask the user to see if he has issue accessing this view.
It's not a bad idea, though as I said in my previous post differences in security mean that one user's view often @<> another user's view. If you can make your view public then I'm assuming that you're the admin of that system. I only ask because...
manu0521 wrote:Where should I get the .vue or .sub files from , will this be there in the clients or users machine ? or you need it for the view that I created from my Data Folder.
... that is not a question that a TM1 system admin should be asking. I strongly, strongly suggest that you look into training courses. IBM run some, but so do a lot of the larger consultancies and some of those are more practical than the IBM ones. You might want to browse through the Commercial forum for some of those.

All TM1 objects - cubes, views, subsets, etc - are stored in the database directory of the server. None of them are stored on the client's local machine. Were it otherwise a client would not be able to access their views if they logged in from a different machine (unless they were stored somewhere on a network).

Public View (.vue) are stored in: DatabaseFolder\CubeName}vues\
Private .vue files are stored in: DatabaseFolder\TM1ClientName\CubeName}vues\
Public subset (.sub) files are stored in: DatabaseFolder\DimensionName}subs\
Private subset files are stored in: DatabaseFolder\TM1ClientName\DimensionName}subs\
-----------
manu0521

Post by manu0521 »

Thanks for the clear explanation. I will provide the private view and subset.
paulsimon
MVP

Post by paulsimon »

Hi

From reading this, it seems that the reason could be as simple as other users have the Display Option set to Suppress Zeroes whereas this user does not. Particularly if the View has nested dimensions, not having Suppress Zeroes turned on can very quickly generate a View with a large number of cells, most of which will probably be zero.

There are some other ways to investigate this but I think you would need to improve your knowledge of the TM1 file structure first.

I would first try going to the user's PC and to ask him to create the View and to watch what he does, eg is he selecting a high number of elements, is he nesting lots of dimensions, is he suppressing zeroes?

NB Suppressing Zeroes in an Extract View is not the same as suppressing zeroes in a Display View.

Regards

Paul Simon
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

paulsimon wrote:From reading this, it seems that the reason could be as simple as other users have the Display Option set to Suppress Zeroes whereas this user does not. Particularly if the View has nested dimensions, not having Suppress Zeroes turned on can very quickly generate a View with a large number of cells, most of which will probably be zero.
That thought had crossed my mind. As had several other possibilities such as the title, column and row arrangements being different, or one view accessing a public subset and one a private subset, or one accessing an entirely different subset to the other despite protestations to the contrary...

If we get the files, we don't need to play "20 speculations" which is where this thread seemed to be headed; it would be a simple case of opening them up and saying "Well this view says this, while that view says the other".
-----------