Renaming a TM1 Service

shorsted

Renaming a TM1 Service

Post by shorsted »

Hi

I'm trying to find out if there is a way to rename a TM1 service in the registry. I don't mean the displayed name in the services list, I've changed that already. I mean the actual service name which is displayed down the left hand pane in the registry editor. I tried just editing the name in the left hand pane and restarting the server but then the service does not start. (I changed it back to Planning Sample and it started fine so it's not a cfg file issue)

I know that I could install a new service and I know that I can even do that through running a DOS script (although I'd need to google the syntax!) but surely there must be away of amending it directly in the registry

Background:
Basically we wanted to run an additional tm1 service and I noticed that whenever the original install was done, someone had installed the default TM1 Planning Service and then subsequently installed another service which became the one they used. So rather than install a new service, I have simply amended the planning service by changing the display name and cfg path in the registry. It's now displayed as Tm1Dev however if someone wants to find it in the registry they have to remember to look for Planning Sample (i will document it of course!! :lol: )

Thanks, advice is much appreciated!
Paul Segal
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 11 and up
Excel Version: Too many to count

Re: Renaming a TM1 Service

Post by Paul Segal »

I think you're making life too complicated for yourself (and, in the future, others). It's not like it's overly difficult or time consuming to delete the Planning Service service and put a new one up.
Paul
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

You've probably wasted more time trying to figure this out than it would have to taken to delete and re-create via Cognos Configuration.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
shorsted

Post by shorsted »

Yes fair point! I just wondered why it wasn't as simple as renaming it in the service list.

Will stop wasting time contemplating and just get on with it! :D