New bhaviour (focus related) with Application Folder files

TJMurphy
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.6 Local
Excel Version: Excel 2016

New bhaviour (focus related) with Application Folder files

Post by TJMurphy »

Hi all
Wondering if this rings any bells with anyone ...

I'm leaning towards my question being "has there been any recent Microsoft patches to Windows 7 / Office 2013 that have changed VBA behaviour?"

We've upgraded to 10.2.2 FP2 from 9.5.1 recently. We had a number of models in our Application Folder, that were .xls files. These have some event processing code that runs when they are open from the Application Folder (mostly cosmetic and a little bit of pre-configuration - resetting a subnm formula for example). They used to work fine in 9.5.1 and they also worked fine in 10.2.2 for a while. However, recently they've started to misbehave (scientific term!).

For example, one of the models is a checklist type of thing and people record the dates of something received. Now, when you first open it and you type something in to a cell, it overwrites the formula *and* records the entry as a value in another sheet (in another workbook). Another example is some subtle display corruption (it's almost like the top-left fixed cell has gotten displaced to somewhere else, a few lines down).

The workaround is to Ctrl-Tab to another workbook and then Ctrl-Tab back. Then the model and the code works fine. So easy enough to explain to people but don't half make your application look amateurish!

Medium term we want to replace at least some of these with more modern models (active forms and buttons) and get them on to TM1 Web but we've gotten used to these ones now. I've been through the VBA code to see if I can spot anything. I thought it might have been my code assuming an activeworkbook when it shouldn't have but there's nothing obvious. I'm also thrown by the workaround which fixes it -- surely that's not a repeatable VBA code problem then?

This was not an issue in testing and I'm 90% certain it wasn't there when we upgraded. IT controls when Windows / Office patches are downloaded and we don't get notification of them. I've had a read through the last set of Office release notes but they weren't terribly enlightening. Most of the modes are .xls (because they're old ones like I said) and we need the macros.

Thanks
TJMurphy
Version: PA 2.0.6 Local
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Re: New bhaviour (focus related) with Application Folder files

Post by TJMurphy »

Just in case anyone thought I was smoking something odd, we've had our TM1 consultants look at this and they agreed it was something wrong.

We explored the files in different formats, xls, xlsx and xlsm, launching from both application folders and file opens.

So, it's been logged with IBM for investigation.

I'm still half expecting it to come back as an Office thing rather than a TM1 thing but who knows ....
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Re: New bhaviour (focus related) with Application Folder files

Post by gtonkin »

OK, so there are now two of us with this issue-thought it was something on my laptop or with config etc.
What you are describing happens to me as follows (typing this in for sanity's sake as these kinds of issues really can test it)
  • Open a workbook from applications
  • Type something into one of the cells (may just be a blank cell or something else)
  • Hit enter and it appears that their is nothing - do this again and still nothing
  • Ctrl+F6 to another window and my input appears in the other workbook
What is a real nightmare is when you open the application, save (or so you think) with another name, and you end up saving one of the other workbooks you had opened. Leads to more confusion.

The next issue is that I have started limiting the workbooks I have open but then you find that the updates do not reflect until you zoom in/out (simplest "fix" found) or Ctrl+F6 to switch windows. As if by magic the worksheet updates.

I have tested various application variables to see if delinquent code is the problem somewhere within TM1P.XLA but the following seem to be correct:
  • application.enableevents=TRUE
  • application.screenupdating=TRUE
  • application.thiworkbook.name =>the expected one
  • selection.address => the cell where I had my cursor, which is in view too
  • selection.parent.name => the workbook I expected
I have tried various options to do things with applications.windows, force events etc. but always go back to zoom in, zoom out.

This probably does not help you resolve but at least you are not alone!