Windows 10 - Anyone Taken The Plunge Yet?

Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Windows 10 - Anyone Taken The Plunge Yet?

Post by Alan Kirk »

I just had my annoying little pop-up advise me that my copy of Windows 10 (for my Windows 8.1 notebook, not my corporate one which is staying on 7 Pro at present for now) is {breathless pause} ready!

{Pop-up: Ready!} {Pop-up: Ready!} {Pop-up: Ready!} {Pop-up: Ready!} (I'm sure you all know the deal; I've rarely met more irritating nagware. I don't want to get rid of it because I do want to /will have to upgrade eventually, but I don't want it in my gorram face every time I wake the machine up either. Unfortunately MS has not given us a middle road for that.)

Has anyone jumped into this lake yet? Any conflict issues with 10.2.2 in particular (which this machine is used to test)? Anything else likely to blow up?

(Yes, I do know that it's not yet on the "supported" software list but since this machine's role with regard to TM1 is "test only", I can afford to take a few risks if I need to.)

Or are you all standing back next to a tree by the lake with evil grins and saying "no, no... by all means you go first!"
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: Windows 10 - Anyone Taken The Plunge Yet?

Post by declanr »

I upgraded a couple of days after WIndows 10 was released and to my surprise TM1 has seemed to work to a perfectly acceptable standard.

This is the newest fully patched TM1 (64-bit Server components & Architect with 32-bit Persepectives / Cafe) along with Excel 2013.

In this set-up I have worked extensively with TM1 Web, Architect & Perspectives.
I have touched on Cafe, PM, Ops Console, Contributor (but not enough to definitively give a yes/no answer on compatibility issues)

The only thing I have found of annoyance but I have noticed this on Server 2012 also is that the Properties window in server explorer turns to garbage:

All in all it seems to be working (I am touching wood, crossing my fingers etc etc that I haven't just hex'd myself.)
Declan Rodger
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

declanr wrote:I upgraded a couple of days after WIndows 10 was released and to my surprise TM1 has seemed to work to a perfectly acceptable standard.

This is the newest fully patched TM1 (64-bit Server components & Architect with 32-bit Persepectives / Cafe) along with Excel 2013.
Thanks Declan. I haven't actually gone to 2013 yet because I have an aversion to being yelled at by menus and I more or less like 2010 despite still thinking that the Ribbon makes life harder rather than easier when it comes to getting to what you need. (And still being hacked off by the removal of customisable add-in shortcut keys.) Note the number of non-Office applications that have enthusiastically adopted the ef(fluent) user interface.

Both of them.

I have a licence for 2013 but since this notebook has every version from Office 97 to 2010 on it (I used to be active on the Excel newsgroups long ago and the tradition continued) I'm a touch concerned that the first non-disk version may stuff it up. Still, that's something that I'll probably have to do at some point too.
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Edward Stuart
Community Contributor
Version: All
Excel Version: All

Post by Edward Stuart »

My base machine is now Windows 10 but extensive development is all Virtual machines so cannot comment directly on TM1 compatibility

I did, however, have a lot of issues with getting a VPN client to work and thought it worth posting the following link here in case anyone else has the same issues:

http://www.gleescape.com/posts/2917
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

I went over on my home machine a week or so ago. I haven't hit any issues so far. I've not had one application that didn't run. Even the Blue Stacks android emulator that I use hasn't fallen over,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
jpm_de
Version: 10.2.2 FP3
Excel Version: 2010

Re: Windows 10 - And what about MS Edge?

Post by jpm_de »

Hi there,

Has anybody tested the new Microsoft browser MS Edge as well?

Thank you very much, any helpful comment is highly appreciated :D
Why TM1? Because ...with great dimensionality there must also come -- great responsibility!
(http://www.quotecounterquote.com/2012/0 ... great.html)
Olivier Bonomini
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: Excel 2013

Post by Olivier Bonomini »

Hello,
We have been running Windows 10, using MS Edge, for some weeks now and TM1 Web 10.2.2 FP3 is working faster than ever before.

Only one issue we have encountered with MS Edge yet, TM1 does not allow to paste things in our out from the Edge browser. Pop up sazs: "Copying to clipboard is currently turned off by your browser. Local data will be used." I didnt find any setting or solution to it yet.

Has anyone encountred the same issue and found a solution for it?

Thanks
Olivier
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

Olivier Bonomini wrote:Hello,
We have been running Windows 10, using MS Edge, for some weeks now and TM1 Web 10.2.2 FP3 is working faster than ever before.

Only one issue we have encountered with MS Edge yet, TM1 does not allow to paste things in our out from the Edge browser. Pop up sazs: "Copying to clipboard is currently turned off by your browser. Local data will be used." I didnt find any setting or solution to it yet.

Thanks
Olivier
Don't know about Edge but you get the same error message in Chrome. IBM has an extension out for Chrome that will let you cut and paste. They probably don't have it for Edge yet since it is so new. You can try Googling it just in case.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
Karthik1710
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2007

Post by Karthik1710 »

Olivier Bonomini wrote:Hello,

Thanks
Olivier
I get this error even in Windows 7 Google chrome. If its a paste for just one cell, I simply double click the cell and then paste. Never used it for multiple cells.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

It looks like we're going to be forced onto Windows 10 at my site so I contacted IBM about the support plans for it. Here they are in a nutshell:
- The first definite support for Windows 10 will be in version 10.3. The on premises release of 10.3 is still being targeted for the second half of this year.
- There is a possibility that there will be support for it in 10.2.2 FP6. This has not definitely been decided yet. The targeted release date for this is late northern summer / early northern autumn.

These two are of course subject to the usual development slippages, unforeseen issues, and the general slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and cannot be guaranteed in terms of timing.

As I understand it there will be no support for Windows 10 for pre-10.2.2 FP6 (at the very least) or, obviously, 10.1.
-----------