Monitoring Cognos BI users accessing TM1 cubes

BigG
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: IBMPA
Version: PA 2.0 Cloud
Excel Version: 2010

Monitoring Cognos BI users accessing TM1 cubes

Post by BigG »

hi all, Monitoring of TM1 licenses question...

My understanding is that using IBM Cognos TM1 cubes as a data source for IBM Cognos Business Intelligence (BI) does not require a TM1 user license. A user within a user group is given ‘Read’ only security access to TM1 cubes , dimensions and elements within the TM1 application, but is only authorised to view the data through a Cognos BI package/ report using a Cognos BI license.

Only users that access TM1 through the TM1 specific tools (TM1 web, Performance Modeler, Perspectives or Architect ) will require a TM1 specific license.

Does anyone have a proven method to monitor and prevent the usage, to ensure the IBM Cognos TM1 tools are leveraged within the entitled number of users? Currently I cannot see any method or Cognos role to exclude AD User Groups the capability of accessing and using a TM1 specific tool (other than verbally telling the users).

Thanks in advance

G
GG
BariAbdul
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: IBM TM1, Planning Analytics, P
Version: PAW 2.0.8
Excel Version: 2019

Re: Monitoring Cognos BI users accessing TM1 cubes

Post by BariAbdul »

I don't know,how much it is going to help you but please have a look at below:
http://www.tm1forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9994
"You Never Fail Until You Stop Trying......"
BigG
Community Contributor

Post by BigG »

thanks for referencing the other thread, the only concern I have is planningDev ' s comments
If you use BI CAM Authentication and create your BI Datasource with Pass Through authentication, then all users who access that data source would also need a valid login for TM1 which in turn would drive the need for a license.
Where most sites are established like this and the benefit of accessing cube and element level security is lost if you provide a single signon for the BI side.
GG
BigG
Community Contributor

Post by BigG »

From further research, I believe if you lock people out of TM1 web, and do not install Perspectives then they can have element level security,

If you are using contributor/ perf modeler, then lock them out of this also.

You can stop people using TM1 web by Web Hide NavTree setting in the }ClientSettings cube and no access to application folders.

This allows you to use single sign on and integrated security with Cognos and still get the benefits of cube and element level security.
GG