Number formatting on charts in Slices / Active Forms

MathiasBeckers
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Number formatting on charts in Slices / Active Forms

Post by MathiasBeckers »

Hi,

Just wondering if any of you have come across this particular issue we're currently facing with charts embedded in TM1 slices and active forms.
To explain in a few quick bullets:
  • We created a very basic slice in Perspectives, on which we built (again a very basic) stacked chart:
    Screenshot_01.jpg
    Screenshot_01.jpg (68.03 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
  • After this we format the table to add one decimal digit:
    Screenshot_02.jpg
    Screenshot_02.jpg (91.42 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
  • Next, as soon as we want to upload / update the template to / in the applicatons folder, the number formatting on the chart's data labels completely changes:
    Screenshot_04.jpg
    Screenshot_04.jpg (102.26 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
After this, when you try to re-open the sheet from the applicatons folder, it shows the wrong number formatting until you hit Excel's local save button, at which point the numbers are back to normal again. Very strange behavior if you ask me, maybe it has something to do with regional settings, but so far we haven't been able to solve it. Also can't seem to reproduce the issue on my local virtual machine...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mathias
MathiasBeckers

Re: Number formatting on charts in Slices / Active Forms

Post by MathiasBeckers »

To be complete:
  • We're on TM1 10.2.2 FP3 - IF1 (Build Number: 10.2.20300.98)
  • OS = Windows 2008 R2 Standard (Server) and Windows 7 Enterprise (Client)
  • Excel version = 2010
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

My guess would be that the Excel Service that TM1 runs can only handle certain number formats and defaults to them,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
MathiasBeckers

Post by MathiasBeckers »

Jim, thanks for the reply. Wanted to quickly check if another issue we're facing is related:

Attached a few screenshots, displaying two very simple examples of a process performing a CellPutN function.
  • In the Process_01 example we’re trying to write ‘2.345,67’ to the cube after converting the string value to a number using the NUMBR function. As a result (Result_01.jpg), the value in the cube shows 02,35. So it seems like the dot is treated as the decimal separator and the comma is ignored.
    Process_01.jpg
    Process_01.jpg (52.48 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
    Result_01.jpg
    Result_01.jpg (40.09 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
  • In the Process_02 example, where I removed the dot as thousand separator in the input (sValue = '2345,67'), the number written to TM1 is ‘234.567’ (Result_02.jpg), which again indicates TM1 ignores the ‘,’ as decimal separator.
    Results_02.jpg
    Results_02.jpg (42.42 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
I’ve ran through the regional settings on the server side with the client’s server administrator and we’ve made sure all the regional settings are reflecting the ‘,’ sign as decimal separator, so I don’t quite understand what is going wrong, or which configuration or parameter we’re overlooking.
Andy Key
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 2.5 to PA
Excel Version: Lots

Post by Andy Key »

The thing that you are overlooking is:
TM1 Reference Guide wrote:The string passed to the NUMBR function must use. (period) as the decimal separator and , (comma) as the thousand separator. Any other decimal/thousand separators will cause incorrect results.
Give this a go instead:

Code: Select all

StringToNumberEx(String, DecimalSep, ThousandsSep);
Andy Key