Cube viewer - copy and paste so very slow

gtonkin
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Cube viewer - copy and paste so very slow

Post by gtonkin »

I thought I would quickly copy and paste data from February to the remainder of the year by selecting the data in the cube view and pasting across the months.
My view had some products on the rows (95 of them) and Jan-Dec on the columns. Jan+Feb were ruled derived and Mar-Dec were STET'ed.
I copied my 95 cells worth of numeric data and pasted into my massive matrix of 95x10 - almost two minutes later I had my results.

This seemed a little slow so decided to do a r>|1 from the first product in Mar - eventually my 95x10 grid was filled - not much quicker if any.

I then sliced the view to Excel and used DBSW to send Feb to Mar-Dec - Instant! WTF?

Anyone else having this?

p.s. The cube has very little data and the rules are copying from Actual to Forecast for Jan and Feb.
TM1 is 10.2.2 FP3 IF1 (or whatever the re-release is called)
I have patched all my systems and thus have not tried an older version of TM1 yet.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Cube viewer - copy and paste so very slow

Post by Alan Kirk »

gtonkin wrote:I thought I would quickly copy and paste data from February to the remainder of the year by selecting the data in the cube view and pasting across the months.
My view had some products on the rows (95 of them) and Jan-Dec on the columns. Jan+Feb were ruled derived and Mar-Dec were STET'ed.
I copied my 95 cells worth of numeric data and pasted into my massive matrix of 95x10 - almost two minutes later I had my results.

This seemed a little slow so decided to do a r>|1 from the first product in Mar - eventually my 95x10 grid was filled - not much quicker if any.

I then sliced the view to Excel and used DBSW to send Feb to Mar-Dec - Instant! WTF?

Anyone else having this?

p.s. The cube has very little data and the rules are copying from Actual to Forecast for Jan and Feb.
TM1 is 10.2.2 FP3 IF1 (or whatever the re-release is called)
I have patched all my systems and thus have not tried an older version of TM1 yet.
Any chance you had the Automatic Recalc button toggled on in the cube view without realising? The icons in the V10 series have such crystal clarity that it's not hard to do.

I can't remember whether it's in one of my old videos or one of the new ones that I haven't posted yet, but I do recall that I say of that button: "Don't use it. Dooooon't use it. Just... don't use it is all." Things like what you're describing are why.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

Thanks Alan, Auto-calc was definitely off.

Going to try bring the same system up on 9.5.2 later and post results once tested.
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

Using Cube Viewer through Architect I tested copying and pasting as well as spreading with repeat - 1 column, 64203 rows - results are as follows:
Operation/Version9.5.2 (9.5.20300.29580)10.2.1 (10.2.20100.83)10.2.2 FP3-IF1 (10.2.20300.98) FP3-IF1
Data Spread Repeat8 seconds8 minutesjust under 5 minutes
Data Spread % Change8 seconds8 minutesjust under 5 minutes
Paste10 minutesdid not testcancelled-~infinity
One the Pasting test we used another session to see what is happening - looks like each cell is updated one by one, no batch update.
Spreading seems to use a batch update/commit

Using a DBSW to populate values from Excel to cube results in times similar to the spreading in 9.5.2 when testing on 10.2 flavours - about 4 seconds to send 64203 values.
Using a data spread on DBRW formulae also takes about the same time as 9.5.2, no noticeable difference. Takes longer for the Right-click context menu to appear than to spread.

Conclusion
Avoid pasting data in the cube viewer if you can
Cube viewer appears to have become crippled!

p.s. for those who care, the following made no difference: MTQ changes, removing rules, ForceReevaluationOfFeedersForFedCellsOnDataChange etc. etc. etc.
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

I haven't noticed any issues along these lines. Or at least not on the scales you are noticing but that being said I have always found pasting HUGE volumes into cubeviews to be slow - but in day to day use you wouldn't expect end users to be doing such a huge volume paste anyway so I don't have to tackle it very often.

Note that between 9.5.2 and 10.1 IBM significantly changed the default actions of some config parameters (such as PI) and then the same again for 10.1 to 10.2; so I would expect that maybe the issue partly resides with it not really being a like for like test.
Declan Rodger
mce
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: Planning Analytics Local 2.0.x
Excel Version: 2013 2016

Post by mce »

I observed the same problem there in Cube viewer. Copy and Paste takes ages...
Version: Planning Analytics Local 2.0