Server crash caused(?) by "Group index is out of bounds"

Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Server crash caused(?) by "Group index is out of bounds"

Post by Martin Ryan »

Our server crashed this morning. The error "group index is out of bounds" appeared in the message log. A Google and forum search doesn't return anything for this. Anyone know what it means? Not 100% sure it caused the crash as it says TM1.Client rather than TM1.Server, but the timing is suspicious.
groupindexisoutofbounds.png
groupindexisoutofbounds.png (26.68 KiB) Viewed 3075 times
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Server crash caused(?) by "Group index is out of bounds"

Post by Alan Kirk »

Martin Ryan wrote:Our server crashed this morning. The error "group index is out of bounds" appeared in the message log. A Google and forum search doesn't return anything for this. Anyone know what it means? Not 100% sure it caused the crash as it says TM1.Client rather than TM1.Server, but the timing is suspicious.
I've not seen it before. Based on my adventures in API land it sounds to me like something in the system has returned an array (TM1ValArray) of Group objects, and that a TM1ValArrayGet (or similar) function is being called using an index to retrieve one of those groups... but that the index that is passed is outside the array boundaries.

I can think of how that could happen in badly written API code, but I know that you don't use a lot of API code. And that shouldn't be enough to crash the server. In theory. The client, certainly, but not the server. And if this is system code, I can't imagine how it could come about at all unless something or someone was deleting security groups at the same time as another something or someone was interrogating them, and there's no indication of that.

Basically I'm guessing here, but it's not a completely uneducated guess. But what could have triggered it - well, outside of what I said above, that I can't even guess at.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Duncan P
MVP
Version: 9.5.2 10.1 10.2
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by Duncan P »

Given that the server died, and that these are messages from the server log, it seems quite likely that "TM1.Client" means that this is an error raised by a server class for handling the interaction with the client.

One way to test this would be to increase the log level of TM1.Client (to e.g. debug) and see what kind of messages are logged.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

Thanks guys. It seems to be the first time it's happened, if it becomes a regular issue I'll turn on the debugging as you suggest Duncan.

Given that the web, the forum and two long term TM1ers (three if you count me) have never heard of it, I'm hopeful it's an isolated event and won't show up again.
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer