mce
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: Planning Analytics Local 2.0.x
Excel Version: 2013 2016

Modeling HFM in TM1

Post by mce »

Hi,

These days, I am trying to design&build a TM1 application that has the features of HFM (Hyperion Financial Management).
The application will serve the requirements of group financial consolidations and statutory disclosure reports in addition to journal adjustments at both company level and group level. I am trying to replicate the HFM application logic and dimensional model in TM1.
I just wanted to check if anyone else has done this before. If so, it would be good to get some useful tips and tricks.
I thought anyone who has deep knowledge of both HFM and TM1 could also make some useful comments here.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
JDLove
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2007

Re: Modeling HFM in TM1

Post by JDLove »

Hi,

Fine and ambitious project !

I have spent some months designing and building a TM1 model, working through the process and attempting to refine a generic result. I've not completed it or polished it up, its raw cubes and rules/TI, however, its had some time and thought applied and I would be open to sharing what I came up with.

I've not got a strong knowledge of HFM but I have research the technical practical aspects of "Financial Consolidation" and found an excellent book that was very practical and explained the domain very well (IMHO). I'm a qualified accountant and although I covered this early in my career this was a long time ago, I was never an auditor but some of my roles worked around this discipline and I have seen in practice some of the limitations of "IBM Cognos Controller".

Regards
JDLove
tm1_bloke
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2010

Post by tm1_bloke »

JDLove wrote: ... and found an excellent book that was very practical and explained the domain very well".
Would you share the name of the book with us, please?

Like JDLove said, you have taken a very ambitious project. I don't have much offer to help you but would be very interested to hear that how are you progressing later on.
JDLove
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2007

Post by JDLove »

Here's book I was given as part of my project (years ago now), I found it very practical.

Ng Eng Juan, Consolidated Financial Statements (Singapore), McGraw-Hill