Prism?

Paul Segal
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 11 and up
Excel Version: Too many to count

Prism?

Post by Paul Segal »

I see from some comments that something called Project Prism was discussed at the recent Vision conference, advertised as "the next generation user interface (UI) for web-based analysis." Is anyone able to share what's known about this, or are you all NDAed up?

Regards
Paul
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Re: Prism?

Post by David Usherwood »

Think that is the next Vision conference, May 17-19 2015, Orlando. Think you should come along to find out :)
Paul Segal
Community Contributor
Version: TM1 11 and up
Excel Version: Too many to count

Post by Paul Segal »

Oh, in May. I'd love to, but I can't see me talking the airfare out of my boss. ("Florida!? For how long!? HOW much?!?!")
Paul
blackhawk
Community Contributor

Post by blackhawk »

According to product management, (and they did authorize me to say this much), Prism will eventually replace Architect and Performance Modeler. When, exactly, is another story and what all is coming in this release is something to be fully determined as of yet, but IBM will be showing it off at the conference. I suspect if you can't go, they will publish presentations and have some more formalized docs on it very soon.

They also did mention that until Prism can fully replace the functionality in the existing products nothing will go away. So no need to get your undies in a bunch quite yet. I am hopeful that lessons learned in PM will carry Prism forward to be a great product.

One can only hope! :)
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by paulsimon »

Hi

I wish that IBM would just fix some of the basics in Perspectives / Architect such as adding Find and Replace to all Editors and having to only do Ctrl-C once instead of twice to copy.

Instead of building another developers' tools, I wish that they would concentrate on the front end. TM1 Web has the limitations of Excel. Cognos BI is a Report Writer, and does not support the data entry and validation that are required for planning, budgeting and forecasting apps.

The modelling capabilities and real-time recalculation and data loading performance of TM1 mean that it can tackle applications that other tools cannot. However, users who buy other tools based on their glossy front ends only find this out later. IBM need to remember that it is the front-end that sells.

Regards

Paul Simon
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Gotta love the fact that they've chosen the name of one of the NSA's more notorious citizen surveillance projects as the name for this Exciting! New! Development!

Perhaps the next generation can be called Stasi. :ugeek:
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Don't make assumptions about what it's going to do yet.... 8-)
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

David Usherwood wrote:Don't make assumptions about what it's going to do yet.... 8-)
If it's Java/web based, and I'm betting it is, I'd feel quite safe in betting good money that one of the things that it will do is have me yelling rather loud and forceful profanities at the screen. Any other potential functionality, including possibly serving as an Orwellian telescreen to monitor your data "for your safety and protection", would be just icing to the above-mentioned core purpose.

But I'm just extrapolating based on experience, I admit.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
blackhawk
Community Contributor

Post by blackhawk »

paulsimon wrote:I wish that IBM would just fix some of the basics in Perspectives / Architect such as adding Find and Replace to all Editors and having to only do Ctrl-C once instead of twice to copy.
Ha! I couldn't agree with you more on that one. But IBM is anti-MS so everything has to be ported to *hack* *hack* Java :shock: *cough* *sputter*
paulsimon wrote:Instead of building another developers' tools, I wish that they would concentrate on the front end. TM1 Web has the limitations of Excel. Cognos BI is a Report Writer, and does not support the data entry and validation that are required for planning, budgeting and forecasting apps.
This is precisely why we invested so much time and money into building Enterprise Services and ES Framework. We were so frustrated with the lack of UI capability that we built our own. Users love the sexy slick interfaces that look and feel like the applications they already know and use every day in their current companies.

What we also need more than anything now is integration and configuration capability. IBM is pushing hosted environments, but there really isn't anything that gives you an infrastructure to setup, deploy, manage and integrate with companies when TM1 is hosted.

But that too doesn't show well in a sales demo.
paulsimon
MVP

Post by paulsimon »

Hi

Is ES Framework a product you sell, or something you built yourself in Java using the TM1 Java API?

Regards

Paul Simon
BrianL
MVP
Version: 9.5.2 10.1 10.2 PA2

Post by BrianL »

paulsimon wrote:Hi
I wish that IBM would just fix some of the basics in Perspectives / Architect such as adding Find and Replace to all Editors and having to only do Ctrl-C once instead of twice to copy.
The Ctrl-C thing is annoying, but if you press and hold ctrl, press and release 'C', and only then release ctrl, it should work every time. Never seen this with any other program, but it seems to be what Architect requires for all it's ctrl keys.
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

blackhawk wrote:What we also need more than anything now is integration and configuration capability. IBM is pushing hosted environments, but there really isn't anything that gives you an infrastructure to setup, deploy, manage and integrate with companies when TM1 is hosted.
Agreed. This is something that we've been discussing in different thread and a overhaul like this is the prefect time to make sure these essential enterprise application are in play,

Jim.

PS. As for the Ctrl+C thing, I've got so used to doing it one way for TM1 that I do that way in all applications so i don't really notice it anymore. :D
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
stephen waters
MVP
Version: 10_2_2
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by stephen waters »

Given IBM's emphasis on cloud I suspect idea behind Prism is to have a unified front-end that will work on both cloud and on-premise. Will be interesting to see where it will be developed ( Littleton or York?) and which approach they will take
a) the Performance Modeler 'lets make is as similar as possible to Cognos Planning to avoid scaring the CP customer base'
or
b) Lets look at what is best for a modern development environment for TM1
paulsimon wrote: I wish that IBM would just fix some of the basics in Perspectives / Architect
Can't see that happening. Perspectives / Architect will carry on for awhile but wont be developed and are likely to eventually die ( but maybe after I have retired!)
paulsimon
MVP

Post by paulsimon »

Hi Stephen

I think you may have misunderstood. It wasn't so much that I was expecting IBM to just fix the basics in Perspectives / Architect, and leave it at that. I was just suggesting that the immediate priority is to provide TM1 with a better front end. One that supports data entry and validation, not just reporting, and one that does not rely on the vagueries of Excel to HTML conversion.

A few minor tweaks to the Perspectives / Architect development tools will give them the breathing space to concentrate development work on the front-end.

Once they build, or buy and adapt a decent front end tool, then I would like to see a development tool that suits both the traditional and the Cloud Hosted approach. There will inevitably be some compromises in that, and a lot will depend on line speed. However, I accept that it has to come, as support for Cloud and its pay per use licensing model will be attractive to some customers.

The key thing though is that the decision to buy a tool is usually made on the basis of the screens that it can provide to the end-user, and not on whether a small number of developers are going to be happy with their tools.

Regards

Paul Simon
blackhawk
Community Contributor

Post by blackhawk »

jim wood wrote:As for the Ctrl+C thing, I've got so used to doing it one way for TM1 that I do that way in all applications so i don't really notice it anymore.
Yeah, I don't pay that much attention to it anymore, but what absolutely annoys the living daylights out of me is swapping back and forth between client and host PC in a Remote Desktop Connection session and have it auto tab three times for you each time you switch. Sometimes when you have text selected it wipes it all out, but worse yet, when it quietly puts in three tabs into your element names and screws up your TI scripts or rules because now the elements don't match. Though you didn't see it coming and saved the script.

AHHHHHHH! :evil:

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a rant session.
paulsimon wrote:Is ES Framework a product you sell, or something you built yourself in Java using the TM1 Java API?
Heavens no we don't use the Java API. From a client perspective it uses pure HTML, JavaScript and CSS, but the server side uses the C API and now the OData API. Yes it is a product we sell. We have been using it internally and for our clients since 2005, but it has been well received and we are now making it publicly available. I don't want to violate any forum rules, so just go here for more info: http://www.carpedatuminc.com/products/e ... e-services.
pspedding
Version: 10.2.2 FP2
Excel Version: Excel for Mac 2011

Post by pspedding »

Dave Corbett, Senior TM1 Product Manager, will be presenting a session on Prism at IBM Vision 2015:

‘In-the-Labs’ Hands-on Feedback Session: IBM Cognos TM1 Prism for Web-based Analysis - 1108A
01:30 PM - 03:00 PM - Hilton Bonnet Creek, Dixie
David Corbett (IBM), Paul Glennon (IBM)

The following sessions are also relevant and may be of interest, which are being presented or co-presented by IBM Cognos TM1 Product Management:

Cloud-based Self-Service Data Discovery for IBM Cognos TM1 and IBM Mainframes - 1148A
10:00 AM - 11:00 AM - Hilton Bonnet Creek, Columbia-Citrus-Collier
Patrick Spedding (Rocket Software), Ronnie Rich (IBM)

The Benefits of Business-Partner-Authored, Pre-Built IBM Cognos TM1 Applications - 1106A
10:00 AM - 11:00 AM - Hilton Bonnet Creek, Palm Beach
David Corbett (IBM)

Hands-on Lab with IBM Cognos TM1 SDK – REST, Java and IBM Cognos TM1 Web - 1097A
09:00 AM - 12:00 PM - Hilton Bonnet Creek, Dade
Hubert Heijkers (IBM), Guido Tejeda Davila (IBM), Jason Fam (IBM)
Mark H
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2007

Post by Mark H »

Hi Folks,

I have seen the PRISM thing. You guys had a chance to play since the creation of this thread?

So far it is 'only' the end-user or super-user that is impacted. One unified UI to replace all other TM1 Web based front-ends. CAFE is favoured over Perspectives but we can still have websheets.

Lots of New things like visualisations/graphs and better in cube analysis, filtering and so on. Some of which is VERY good. Some is clearly similar to competitors offering.

My first reaction was 'YUK' - didn't like the colours or icons and struggled to make sense of the whole thing as the user type I was simulating didn't make sense. They are looking at different user experiences so not really a like-for-like in my opinion. Over time I got used to it and could see the benefit. That's how different it is !

Clear intention to apply same 'upgrade' to Performance Modeler / Development area. Have not seen anything there yet.

Major performance trick to help the impact of changing numbers on cube in a large dependency map. This will be the reason to upgrade.

They say that old stuff will still work when upgraded and are not switching off anything for now. I think that is a waste of time as we don't have to use it we never will. Change requests are only raised when we are stuck. If we can play in TI then change requests will not be raised.

Here are my problems:

When this or some of this comes out we will have 3 TM1's. Architect / PM / PRISM. There are distinct differences and suggestion of totally new content store for security. How is any Partner or Contractor supposed to have any real depth of knowledge across all three? Until 'old tools' are switched off there will be very slow take up of these new ideas which will still be v1.0 after several years since the buy-out. When is this going to settle down?

All of this is design to bring the UI up to date but we still have projects that want to use Cognos BI to look at TM1 and now Rocket Software too.

I have heard that IBM is soliciting opinions on Performance Modeler now so clearly about to tackle that.

Frustrated ?????

M
moby91
MVP
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by moby91 »

pspedding wrote:Dave Corbett, Senior TM1 Product Manager, will be presenting a session on Prism at IBM Vision 2015:

‘In-the-Labs’ Hands-on Feedback Session: IBM Cognos TM1 Prism for Web-based Analysis - 1108A
01:30 PM - 03:00 PM - Hilton Bonnet Creek, Dixie
David Corbett (IBM), Paul Glennon (IBM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RImZhK ... X&index=11
IBM Vision #1299: Taking the Next Step: Unlocking the Strategic Performance Management Advantage

Fast forward to 25:00 to the slide labeled

Rich Rodgers & Dave Corbett
FOPM Product Management

starting the final half of Session #1299:

25:00 to 36:00 In the Labs: Cafe and Prism
36:00 Demo of Prism
iansdigby
Community Contributor
Version: 9 + 10 + Plan An
Excel Version: All

Post by iansdigby »

We joked that a quick way to smoke out spurious TM1 'experts' at a job interview would be to ask them to demonstrate a keyboard copy-paste in the TI Editor.
"the earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens" - Baha'u'llah
Hippogriff
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2012

Post by Hippogriff »

And there was me, thinking my keyboard was going wacky... I am grateful for this tidbit of information alone today. CTRL-C twice, ey? Who'd've thought that, ever?
--
Cheers, Hippo