Full stop in cube name breaks perspectives?

Paul Segal
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 11 and up
Excel Version: Too many to count

Full stop in cube name breaks perspectives?

Post by Paul Segal »

I've just come across an issue in Perspectives where Pick and Edit Formula from the TM1 menu break if you include a . in a cube name. So, SERVER: CUBE.DESCRIPTION will truncate to SERVER:CUBE, which is obviously not ideal. Running 10.2.2 FP2 on Excel 2010 with up to date Perspectives. Is this old news and I've just not come across it before?
Paul
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: Full stop in cube name breaks perspectives?

Post by declanr »

Paul Segal wrote:Is this old news and I've just not come across it before?
It might be as I've always used an underscore as a result of encountering issues with full stops... but then again I can't remember what the issues I encountered were and that doesn't really ring a bell - I think the issues I found may have been more server file side e.g. when I tried to do certain things "outside" TM1 with "My.Cube.cub" etc.

I certainly feel for anyone if it is a new thing and they'd have to go through updating entire naming conventions.
Declan Rodger
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

I never use "." or "," in any TM1 object names. I don't use "." because it is a separator for web addresses and don't use "," because it is the most common delimiter for text files. Guess I've been just been lucky. I only use letters, numerals, and underscore.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
rmackenzie
MVP

Post by rmackenzie »

tomok wrote:I never use "." or "," in any TM1 object names. I don't use "." because it is a separator for web addresses and don't use "," because it is the most common delimiter for text files. Guess I've been just been lucky. I only use letters, numerals, and underscore.
IMO that's the best practice approach. I've seen usage of $, % and & cause problems on TM1 Web so I would avoid those too.
Robin Mackenzie
gtonkin
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

Just saw this article which may be useful in terms of reserved characters and do's and dont's.