Security Issue. User can view data in "Properties Window"

7Zark7
OLAP Product: TM1 and EV
Version: 9.1 SP3
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Security Issue. User can view data in "Properties Window"

Post by 7Zark7 »

Hi All,

Using TM1 version 10.1.1. We have an issue where the security has been locked down for an element attribute containing sensitive data ie birth date.
The user cannot see or slice out the data from the element attribute cube, however when the user is viewing the data through the Subset Editor with "Properties Window" box ticked
the user can see the value. I have tried formatting the value on the element attribute with no luck in the hope that it would at least mask the value.

Is this a common thing? / bug ? Or is there something I am missing? Out of interest and as an alternative is it possible to turn off properties window for a dimension?

Cheers

Zark
dan.kelleher
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 11

Re: Security Issue. User can view data in "Properties Window

Post by dan.kelleher »

I am assuming you still want the user to access the element? One possible solution is to store the attribute in a separate cube and utilise the tm1user() function in a rule to populate dynamically.
7Zark7

Post by 7Zark7 »

Thanks Dan, your solution worked perfectly. Can you or anyone else shed some light on why this is? It seems to be inconsistent in terms of how TM1 security is dealt with.
I would expect that if you apply security on the attribute element that this element should be hidden when viewed in the subset editor. It appears as though the subset
editor ignores this completely and allow you to see values you should not be able to see when "Properties Window" is ticked. Its as though its acting as admin.

Can anyone confirm that this is expected behaviour?

Cheers
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

7Zark7 wrote:Thanks Dan, your solution worked perfectly. Can you or anyone else shed some light on why this is? It seems to be inconsistent in terms of how TM1 security is dealt with.
I would expect that if you apply security on the attribute element that this element should be hidden when viewed in the subset editor. It appears as though the subset
editor ignores this completely and allow you to see values you should not be able to see when "Properties Window" is ticked. Its as though its acting as admin.

Can anyone confirm that this is expected behaviour?

Cheers
Bug vs. "feature"/expected behaviour is a tough one here. I would argue as I expect that you would that this is a bug as the properties window should respect the element security settings of the ElementAttributes cube. But the fact is that is doesn't and never has and has always been like this for many years. So the chance that this bug might be fixed in the current Perspectives/Architect client is effectively 0% I would guess.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
7Zark7

Post by 7Zark7 »

Thanks for the confirmation of this undocumented "Feature" Lotsaram. :o)
rmackenzie
MVP

Post by rmackenzie »

Did you try cell security on the }ElementAttributes cube data as opposed to element security on the attribute itself?
Robin Mackenzie
7Zark7

Post by 7Zark7 »

Hi Rob,

I can confirm that cell security does not work for the }ElementAttributes cube.
Cell security was tested and security set to 'None' and values still appeared for the attribute in question.

Cheers

Zark