Converting Planning Built-in Function into TM1 Rules

Zanele
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: v10.1
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Converting Planning Built-in Function into TM1 Rules

Post by Zanele »

Hi, I am a beginner in TM1, I have a task to convert Planning Built-in functions into TM1 rules, Those built-in functions are @Last, @LeaseVariable, @Cumul, @lag, @Feed.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Converting Planning Built-in Function into TM1 Rules

Post by tomok »

Zanele wrote:Hi, I am a beginner in TM1
You are also a beginner in this forum as well. Suggest you read the request for assistance guidelines. That being said, you don't have a snowball's chance in hades of accomplishing your goal. Most of those functions are quite complex and way over the head of many people on this forum, much less a beginner. Why anyone would expect a complete novice to be able to do something like that is beyond me.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Zanele wrote:Hi, I am a beginner in TM1, I have a task to convert Planning Built-in functions into TM1 rules, Those built-in functions are @Last, @LeaseVariable, @Cumul, @lag, @Feed.
Some of this covered in the 10.1 developer training course that you can get from one of IBM's training partners. I would recommend the introduction to TM1 then the developer course. Tomok is right, this is no simple stuff that you're trying to achieve. Without this training as foundation you're going to be climbing a very steep hill,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

jim wood wrote:Without this training as foundation you're going to be climbing a very steep hill,
And... falling off many times.
tomok wrote:Why anyone would expect a complete novice to be able to do something like that is beyond me.
The company pays less in the short run, but forgets that in the middle to long run, they pay lots and lots more.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
Solanna
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.2 to 10.2
Excel Version: 2007 - 2013

Post by Solanna »

The company pays less in the short run, but forgets that in the middle to long run, they pay lots and lots more
Well said Wim!!!!

It amazes me how organizations will choose the less experienced and cheaper resource in order to assumedly save a few bucks
In the end they spend much more time and money while their resource learns on their dime ;)

Certainly everyone has to start somewhere but this is not an effective method that unfortunately seems to be the norm these days

Best,

Solanna
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

@Last

I would recommend using a TI function that does a while loop back from that period until it finds a value. You can do this by a rule also but it would be inefficient and cumbersome if you have a large time dimension.

@LeaseVariable

Annuity calculations etc have been discussed a few times on this forum so searching may help you but I wouldn't recommend starting with such a calculation while you are still learning. That being said however, as long as you understand the maths and/or have a grounding in accounting it will be reasonably straightforward to set up once you get to grips with TM1s calculation engine.

@Cumul

With TM1 the usual method for this is to just use consolidations (e.g. YTD and/or CUM) but its easy enough to set up with a rule as well, in a rule just make sure to add the prior periods YTD calc'd value to this period's "in date" value.

@Lag

Simple rule referencing "Prior" attributes (sometimes nested 2 Prior etc), just make sure to also have a "next" attribute for the feeder portion of the rule.

@Feed

Again you have "Closing" as a simple consolidation of "Opening", "In", "Out" etc. then you have "Opening" set up as a rule looking at the "Prior" period's "Closing" (remember to through in the feeder.)

You will note that most of the above need common attributes set up, there are a lot of things it helps to set up before you start in such generic terms, most of us have historically done this as standard practice but nowadays I believe PM creates such attributes "out of the box" for you and I would assume as an EP user you have been "sold" TM1 on the basis of using PM. All the above are basic examples to give you an idea, none are definitive - you will find that with TM1 there are multiple ways of doing anything and which is best for you will depend entirely on your specific situation and a bit of trial and error will probably help you get there.
Declan Rodger
Zanele
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: v10.1
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by Zanele »

Hi Declan

Thanks for your input. I managed to resolve @Feed and @Cumul. I am still busy with the other functions.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

Zanele wrote:Hi Declan

Thanks for your input. I managed to resolve @Feed and @Cumul. I am still busy with the other functions.
I'm glad you're not doing it on my dime. :P
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/