TM1 10.2 Package Connector - Issues.

spiderwallet
OLAP Product: Cognos
Version: 10.2.1
Excel Version: 2010

TM1 10.2 Package Connector - Issues.

Post by spiderwallet »

HI All,

I have installed TM1 package connector 10.2 onto a Cognos TM1 10.2 environmnet which uses Cognos BI 10.2.
Via Architect I am able to create a TI selecting the IBM Cognos Package drop down but get the following issues:

1. Selecting IBM Cognos Package: Custom Query - Once I have selected a report and have press the 'Edit Query' button I am prompted with a Data Source Signon..
It has the data source name and signon name from the report but doesnt have a username and password?? When this is entered it prompts to add again.

2. Selecting IBM Cognos Package: Package - Once I Log on and select a package and go to the Dimension tab I get the following error:
BMT-MD-0005 An Object of type 'Data Sources' cannot contain an object of type 'Data Source'. Please review the Model schema to understand the containship rules.

There doesnt seem to be much info on the above error, therefore has anyone come accross the above before?

Thanks in advance!
dr.nybble
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: Excel 2007

Re: TM1 10.2 Package Connector - Issues.

Post by dr.nybble »

1. This usually indicates an unexpected exception occurring. TM1 Package Connector sometimes interprets it as a logon failure when in fact it is something else. Ensure that the required drivers for the data source are installed locally on both the client and the server.

2. Seems to be a complaint about the structure of your Framework Manager model. Not sure what is means, if I look in the model.xml of a model I see:

<dataSources><dataSource><name>great_outdoors_sales</name>.....

So not sure why it would be complaining. Does it happen only with one package or any package?
spiderwallet
OLAP Product: Cognos
Version: 10.2.1

Post by spiderwallet »

Thanks for the reply DR.

Things have progressed since my lost post but were still having issues with the Custom Query package connector option..
It seems no matter the Report I choose (from cognos BI) I am prompted to enter a data source signon. As explained before, It knows the data source and the connection, but leaves the signon, username and password blank. If I enter the details manually it returns with the same prompt screen (blank username and password). If I run the report on the BI server it works as expected.

I've tried using different usernames for the logon such as the cognos service account and have tried creating an ODBC data source on the TM1 server to the same database just incase TM1 doesnt use the same configuration / login details that exist on BI, but again still no luck. As suggested in another post, I have altered the qfs_config.xml file to log commands value = 2 but it didnt seem to help log an error either.

Does anyone here actualy use the CQ package connector option? If so did you have to do anything extra to get it working?

Cheers!
dr.nybble
MVP

Post by dr.nybble »

You need to ensure that the data source is configured on the TM1 Architect client as well. It is required when processing report-based queries.
If you have the logs you can send them to me (note that if the error is occurring in Architect you should edit the qfs_config.xml on the client-side TM1 PC install).
nish
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2013

Post by nish »

dr.nybble wrote:You need to ensure that the data source is configured on the TM1 Architect client as well. It is required when processing report-based queries.
If you have the logs you can send them to me (note that if the error is occurring in Architect you should edit the qfs_config.xml on the client-side TM1 PC install).
Hi DR,

I'm having the same problem where the Data Source Signon screen in TI keeps popping up. I'm trying to use "Custom Query", and have selected my BI report in the Source box. Then this signon window pops up, and it does not take my sign on username and password that I used in my data source connection to create the report in BI. Please let me know if you have any thoughts.
trentban
Excel Version: Excel 2013

Post by trentban »

I spent a good 6 months with package connector issues, IBM support wasn't much help despite their good efforts. There are just too many bugs like this with limited to no help.

Some things to try..
- renew cognos admin login credentials and restart tm1 instance. Or the login you are using to connect to the custom query.
- in frame work manager there should be an auto refresh or validates check box or something like that. Make sure its not checked and republish the package
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

nish wrote:I'm having the same problem where the Data Source Signon screen in TI keeps popping up. I'm trying to use "Custom Query", and have selected my BI report in the Source box. Then this signon window pops up, and it does not take my sign on username and password that I used in my data source connection to create the report in BI. Please let me know if you have any thoughts.
I can't help but think something is a bit arse backwards somewhere if a BI report is being used as the data source for a TI process. What's the data source of the BI report? Presumably a SQL query, ... Why wouldn't you simply have an odbc data source with the same query as the data source for the TI? It would be much more efficient.

I'm not saying the package connector authentication popup isn't an issue but why the unusual design of data flow?
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Parth

Post by Parth »

Hi nish, I am also facing the same challenge using the SAP ECC data source. Did you get the solution for it ???
Also did any other person face the same challenge and did find a way out , then kindly help me with the same.

Thanks in Advance.
dr.nybble
MVP

Post by dr.nybble »

Queries in TM1 Package Connector occur locally, not on the BI server (at least for compatible mode sources).

Therefore you must have appropriate drivers installed on both the client (TM1 Architect) and server systems.

Is SAP ECC a dynamic query based source?

You can always turn on logging by editing qfs_config.xml in the TM1 Package Connector configuration/ folder to get detailed query engine logs that may pinpoint the issues.
Jota

Post by Jota »

Hi ,

i have the same issue.

my datasource SAP ECC is a dynamic query based source, and when connecting TM1 Architect via Package Connector i get the error on the logs:

"UDA-SQL-0432 Unable to locate the gateway cogudaerp-sap"

I have the same java drivers on TM1 as Cognos BI, and Cognos BI works fine!

Any ideias?

Thanks in advance.
dr.nybble
MVP

Post by dr.nybble »

Since you see an error from UDA this means that TM1 Package Connector is not configured to route queries to the Dynamic Query engine. UDA is a "compatible mode" query engine component.

This feature is only supported in 10.2.2 and must be turned on.

You can enable it by setting the following preference value in cogtr.xml in the TM1 Package Connector /configuration directory:

<Preference Name="AllowDQ" Value="1"/>

As I mentioned, if you route queries to the DQ engine that is where the extraction occurs. So you don't need any Java drivers on TM1.
Jota

Post by Jota »

Thanks a lot for the info dr.nybble!

Now the problem is that i have cognos bi 10.2.1 with sap ecc connection with dynamic query mode, and my TM1 version is 10.2.0!

There is any way that i can connect BI to SAP via sap ecc connection via compatible query mode? i think is not supported.

Thanks!

Best regards
dr.nybble
MVP

Post by dr.nybble »

If you have at least 10.2.1 FP3 on both BI Server and TM1 Package Connector you can try to define the environment variable PC_ALLOW_DQ.
That variable must be defined for both the client and the server (TM1 Package Connector runs on both).
michaelm
OLAP Product: Cognos Express, TM1
Version: 9.1 9.4 9.5
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by michaelm »

Recently ran into a similar issue while migrating from Development into Production. Package connector was working as expected in Dev but not in Prod.
The problem turned out to be that the Production server was missing the Microsoft SQL Native Client.