Copying process from dev to production

telula

Copying process from dev to production

Post by telula »

Hello,
I have designed a TI process in the dev environment called CubeLoad_Expense_New.
To move it to the production environment, is it sufficient to just copy CubeLoad_Expense_New.pro from the dev server to the production server? Or are there other files I need to copy over?
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Copying process from dev to production

Post by Alan Kirk »

telula wrote:Hello,
I have designed a TI process in the dev environment called CubeLoad_Expense_New.
To move it to the production environment, is it sufficient to just copy CubeLoad_Expense_New.pro from the dev server to the production server? Or are there other files I need to copy over?
Not unless it uses a pre-defined view or subset as a data source (which would be bad practice), in which case you would need to either copy across the relevant .vue and/or .sub files, or recreate them on the Production server.

No other files are needed if the data source is None, Ascii or ODBC.

(The Process won't appear in the list until you restart the server, however. If you can't restart it, create a new process on the Production server, and copy over the code from the development process into each tab of the Production one, remembering to set up any variables and parameters correctly.)
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Steve Vincent »

Alan Kirk wrote: Not unless it uses a pre-defined view or subset as a data source (which would be bad practice)
Slight aside, but some of us are stuck with predefined views due to a bug in 9.0 which was fixed "somewhere" in 9.1, where a TI used to create a temp view corrupts it. In those cases you are stuck with predefined views and the need to copy them and any relevant subsets with them too :(
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Steve Vincent wrote:
Alan Kirk wrote: Not unless it uses a pre-defined view or subset as a data source (which would be bad practice)
Slight aside, but some of us are stuck with predefined views due to a bug in 9.0 which was fixed "somewhere" in 9.1, where a TI used to create a temp view corrupts it. In those cases you are stuck with predefined views and the need to copy them and any relevant subsets with them too :(
Thank you Steve. ;)

That surprises me; that would seem to be a critical enough bug to warrant a fix in the most recent version of 9.0 (though that's true of many things).

Is this a "fully reproducible" one, or a "random" one?

Is it possible that it only occurs when the view is created with an empty subset? I recall that there was a bug that caused a problem with that waaaay back in 7.1.4, but it didn't merely corrupt the view but rather tanked the server when the view was accessed.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

I would _strongly_ recommend that you assemble all the objects (.pro, .vue, .sub) in a zip file with the right subdirectory paths, snapshot prod, copy the contents of the zip file into the right places and _bounce_ the server. Mucking around recreating the objects isn't good. If you find you've missed something, create a new zip file, rinse and repeat, rolling back to the snapshot first if necessary.