Secure the RULES

mnasra
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0
Excel Version: EXCEL 2013

Secure the RULES

Post by mnasra »

Hi all,
This could be a stupid question, but I dont seem to find how to secure the rules from the end users who have access to Perspectives and have write access to the cube.
I do not even want them to see that this cube has a rule file.

THANKS a million
micheline
Thanks
Micheline
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Secure the RULES

Post by tomok »

mnasra wrote:Hi all,
This could be a stupid question, but I dont seem to find how to secure the rules from the end users who have access to Perspectives and have write access to the cube.
I do not even want them to see that this cube has a rule file.

THANKS a million
micheline
You can't. Anyone that has at least READ to a cube can see the rules. They can't change the rules unless they have ADMIN.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
stephen waters
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10_2_2
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by stephen waters »

mnasra wrote:Hi all,
I do not even want them to see that this cube has a rule file. micheline
When you say "Perspectives" do you mean Excel add-in or server explorer? Using Capability Assignments you can restrict users from accessing Server Explorer so they wont be able to see rules but can still use Excel add-in.
mnasra
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0
Excel Version: EXCEL 2013

Post by mnasra »

Thank you all. Very appreciated.
Thanks
Micheline
rmackenzie
MVP

Post by rmackenzie »

Another alternative is to have a second cube where the results of the rule-driven cube and sent in via TI. Users who shouldn't be able to view the rule file can have access to this second cube and not the first - thus being able to access the data via Server Explorer but not be able to see the rules (if you set the security up right). Obviously there's quite a lot of development and maintenance overhead with this way not to mention that results will no longer be 'real-time'. YMMV.
Robin Mackenzie
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

rmackenzie wrote:Another alternative is to have a second cube where the results of the rule-driven cube and sent in via TI. Users who shouldn't be able to view the rule file can have access to this second cube and not the first - thus being able to access the data via Server Explorer but not be able to see the rules (if you set the security up right). Obviously there's quite a lot of development and maintenance overhead with this way not to mention that results will no longer be 'real-time'. YMMV.
Not to mention rules at C level of the dimensions :-)
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
rmackenzie
MVP

Post by rmackenzie »

Wim Gielis wrote:
rmackenzie wrote:Another alternative is to have a second cube where the results of the rule-driven cube and sent in via TI. Users who shouldn't be able to view the rule file can have access to this second cube and not the first - thus being able to access the data via Server Explorer but not be able to see the rules (if you set the security up right). Obviously there's quite a lot of development and maintenance overhead with this way not to mention that results will no longer be 'real-time'. YMMV.
Not to mention rules at C level of the dimensions :-)
Sure - good point. This alternative is only really going to be an option if your rules are at n: level only. Otherwise, you'd be faced with building summary dimensions in the 'reporting' cube and suddenly the option is looking quite impractical.
Robin Mackenzie