10.2 Operation Console with CAM

kangkc
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1, PA , TMVGate
Version: 2.x
Excel Version: 36x

10.2 Operation Console with CAM

Post by kangkc »

I have been spending the last few days setting up various components in TM1 10.2 with CAM using Active Directory. Managed to get all the components working such as Insight, TM1 Application Portal, Cognos Workspace, Performance Modeler, TM1 Web using Active Directory. Except for Operation Console!!!

"The specified server could not be contacted" is the error message. I flipped the authentication back to TM1 native and Ops Console works perfectly hence I am pretty sure this has nothing to do with Java certificate store issue, Ops Console is working fine except with CAM.

This leads me to the following support document from IBM:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg21650271

which require to specify CAMID when connecting to Ops Console. Problem is when I tried to enter the CAMID for the Active Directory domain user which is in a very long format that looks like this : CAMID("DomainName:u:67e9afe65410024d90572b7d65c343df"), the Ops Console login page does not accept the input format (could be due to come of the characters). Now I am stuck.

Anyone else uses CAM with AD and TM1 Operation Console and got it working ?

We have no choice but to go BI CAM path due to the issues of TM1 Web and the rest of the components not supporting the TM1 mode 3 authentication method.
whitej_d
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2010

Re: 10.2 Operation Console with CAM

Post by whitej_d »

I think you can use the nice version of the CAM Id.

It's something like Namespace\UserName.
whitej_d
Community Contributor

Post by whitej_d »

You also need the Group setting to be the CAMID for the group, eg:

CAMID(":System Administrators")
kangkc
Community Contributor

Post by kangkc »

Unfortunately it doesn't work. I believe if this is a simple CAM implementation, it may work.
However in this aspect CAM is using AD and the domain user id in CAMID format seems to be a translated ID.
dkleist

Post by dkleist »

Your link is for 10.1.1. With the changes in 10.2, I thought Ops Console wasn't able to use CAM security (I don't remember getting it to work on any of my implementations)
robin
Excel Version: 2008

Post by robin »

It is possible to get Operations Console at 10.2 to work with CAM secured server. In the username field of the Ops Console login screen the syntax required is.

namespace/username (in one of the previous posts the slash may have been the wrong way round)

The same syntax is required if you need admin rights.

Operations Console 10.2 doesn't work with single sign on. You always have to log in to Operations Console separately.
Also there may be a problem with some user names or cam id's that contain non-alphanumeric characters.
kangkc
Community Contributor

Post by kangkc »

Not working for me with CAM configured to use AD as authentication provider.
mvaspal
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: 10 2 2 - 2.0.5
Excel Version: From 2007 to 2013

Post by mvaspal »

namespace/username (in one of the previous posts the slash may have been the wrong way round)
It is NamespaceID\Username, as whitej_d wrote. The username can be the simple AD username without any prefix or suffix. You can find out the Namespace ID from the Cognos Configuration of your BI install.

The group should be in the format as whitej_d wrote. This group should exist in the server you select from the "Servername" drop down list, and the username should be member of this group.
kangkc
Community Contributor

Post by kangkc »

Finally got it working. And likely there is a bug in the Ops Console login screen.
In the input filed for User id and password, certain special characters are not accepted by the Javascript of the Ops Console. Which is acceptable in a typical AD password policy. I believe there is a validation check built in on these fields which is the cause of my problem. I have to reset the testing id password to avoid any special character in order to get through it.
Thanks all. This conclude my 10.2 all features testing with CAM using AD. Happy to say that all are working.
whitej_d
Community Contributor

Post by whitej_d »

I did find the other day that the javascript pops up with a validation error, however if you pressed enter it would log in to Ops Console regardless.