AnthonyT
OLAP Product: TM1, EV
Version: 9.0 9.1 9.4 9.5 10.1 10.2
Excel Version: 2003 2007 2010 2015

Oracle OLAP

Post by AnthonyT »

Hi all

Hope this is the correct place for this post

Can anyone point me in the direction of finding out, or let me know their own experience in, the difference between Oracle OLAP and TM1?

Thanks

Anthony
Anthony

That's no moon - that's a space station
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Oracle OLAP

Post by jim wood »

When you say Oracle OLAP do you mean the old Oracle Express or do you mean Essbase?
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
AnthonyT
OLAP Product: TM1, EV
Version: 9.0 9.1 9.4 9.5 10.1 10.2
Excel Version: 2003 2007 2010 2015

Post by AnthonyT »

Hi Jim

I mean "Oracle OLAP is a world class multidimensional analytic engine embedded in Oracle Database 11g" from the Oracle Technology Network website - definately not Essbase - accesed using the Analytic Workspace Manager

I think.....

Thanks
Anthony

That's no moon - that's a space station
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Post by lotsaram »

AnthonyT wrote:Hi Jim

I mean "Oracle OLAP is a world class multidimensional analytic engine embedded in Oracle Database 11g" from the Oracle Technology Network website - definately not Essbase - accesed using the Analytic Workspace Manager

I think.....

Thanks
I think this is what was Siebel Analytics?
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7

Post by jim wood »

Siebal Analytics is now know as Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition. (OBIEE) Which is very similar to the likes of Cognos BI 10 and Business Objects. Calling it an OLAP tool is a bit of a stretch. Business Objects does the same as you break the information out in to dimensions and measure dimensions but there the similarity ends. The calculation engine within OBIEE is not an OLAP based calculation engine. It is able to do simple calculations. For example to handle version and time based variances you have 2 options: 1) Create hundreds of measures for each instance or 2) Create look up tables in your database that adds for example dates to give you year to date values. Even then option 2 doesn't handle variance exceptions very well. (Income versus expense for example) Also option 2 when you bring it through to the user can be very confusing.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube