Mike Cowie
Site Admin
OLAP Product: IBM TM1/PA, SSAS, and more
Version: Anything thru 11.x
Excel Version: 2003 - Office 365

New TI Process & Chore Command-Line Execution Utility

Post by Mike Cowie »

UPDATE:
Given the unveiling of a more officially supported/documented executable from IBM, TM1RunTI.EXE, I'm putting this utility out to pasture for now. It's still available if you're interested, but overlaps enough with IBM's utility that I'm not planning on developing it further. Some details on that new IBM EXE can be found here for now:
http://www.tm1forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5176

If interested in the history behind this utility and its predecessors, feel free to read on in this thread...

Hi Everyone,

It's taken far longer than I would have liked to get this out to everyone, but this is effectively an update of the older TM1ProcessExecute and TM1ChoreExecute command-line interfaces. I'm putting this new version into a separate posting because it's been almost completely rewritten and now combines the 2 executables into one: TIExecute.exe.

Disclaimers:
Just the usual: No guarantees/warranties whatsoever are provided. The software is provided "as-is".

Reporting Problems:
[UPDATE] As noted above, since IBM have released their own version of a similar utility to run TI processes, this one is not being developed further. You can PM me if you like with any issues/questions/suggestions, but I'm very likely going to refer you to the new IBM-created TM1RunTI.EXE [UPDATE]

Hope you find it useful! Detailed notes are below.

Regards,
Mike Cowie

---- Release Notes & Documentation ----

1.0.0 (Initial Release) - CURRENT VERSION

Just to highlight some of the changes for everyone in the updated TI Chore and Process execution command-line utility, TIExecute.exe:
  • The utility is now written using C#, targeting the .NET Framework 2.0. It still uses the TM1 C API.
  • There are now 32-bit and 64-bit builds of the utility. I don't believe you'll have any luck running this on anything other than a Windows OS given the .NET Framework linkage. I believe you'll need the .NET Framework build that matches the TIExecute.exe build (e.g., 64-bit TIExecute.exe needs .NET 2.0 x64). Otherwise you may get BadImageFormat exceptions.
  • The utility uses a TIExecute.config file to specify (currently) 2 main settings:
  • Location of TM1 API files. It is important that you specify the location with the correct format of the TM1 API that matches the copy of TIExecute.EXE you are using. For example, if you're using the x86 version of TIExecute.exe, you'll need to refer to the 32-bit version of the TM1 API.
  • - Client SSL Configuration for TIExecute.
  • The utility now supports the following login methods:
    - Native TM1
    - TM1 Integrated Login
    - CAM Namespace (e.g., for Cognos Express)
    - CAM Passport
    NOTE: I've been able to test all but CAM Passport, mainly because I'm not sure yet how one goes about testing that option.
  • The utility has a somewhat simplified (and changed) command-line interface, which will hopefully make it easier to enhance with additional functionality in the future.
Installation Requirements:
  • .NET Framework 2.0 (x86 and/or x64 depending on your OS and version of TIExecute.exe you plan to use).
  • Unzip these files (for the chosen 32-bit or 64-bit build) to any directory of your choosing:
    - TIExecute.exe
    - TIExecute.config
  • Modify TIExecute.config to refer to the location of your TM1 API files. Assuming you have already installed TM1 on the same machine as TIExecute.exe, here are some likely paths to the TM1 API:
    64-bit TIExecute.exe on a 64-bit OS:
    - Cognos TM1: <add key="TM1APIPath" value="C:\Program Files\Cognos\TM1\Bin\" />
    - Cognos Express: <add key="TM1APIPath" value="C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Cognos Express\Xcelerator\bin\" />
    32-bit TIExecute.exe on a 64-bit OS:
    - Cognos TM1: <add key="TM1APIPath" value="C:\Program Files (x86)\Cognos\TM1\Bin\" />
    - Cognos Express: <add key="TM1APIPath" value="C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Cognos Express Clients\Xcelerator Client\bin\" />
    32-bit TIExecute.exe on a 32-bit OS:
    - Cognos TM1: <add key="TM1APIPath" value="C:\Program Files\Cognos\TM1\Bin\" />
    - Cognos Express: <add key="TM1APIPath" value="C:\Program Files\IBM\Cognos Express Clients\Xcelerator Client\bin\" />
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you plan to enable SSL communication, make sure you also update the path in the SSLCertificateAuthority setting.

Command-Line Syntax:
  • Usage:
    TIExecute AdminHost TM1Server TM1CxnString Action ObjectName [<P1>, <P2>, ..., <Pn>]
  • Where:
    AdminHost: TM1 Admin Server. Use machine name or address, or "localhost" for current machine.
    TM1Server: TM1 Server Name.
    TM1CxnString: One of the following TM1 connection options:
    - TM1/LDAP Login: "TM1;<UserID>;<Password>"
    - TM1 Integrated: "TM1Integrated"
    - CAM Namespace: "CAMNamespace;<Namespace>;<UserID>;<Password>"
    - CAM Passport: "CAMPassport:<Passport>"
    Action: Currently One of the following possible commands:
    - "RunProcess": Runs a Turbo Integrator Process.
    - "RunChore": Runs a Turbo Integrator Chore.
    ObjectName: Name of the Process/Chore.
    [<P1>, <P2>, ..., <Pn>]: Optional list of parameter values for Turbo Integrator process execution.
  • Sample command to run a process in TM1 using native TM1 login (user: Admin, pwd: apple):
    TIExecute "localhost" "Planning Sample x64" "TM1;admin;apple" "RunProcess" "Your Process Name" "P0 Value" "P1 Value" ...
  • Sample command to run a process in Cognos Express using CAM Namespace login (user: Administrator, pwd: blank):
    TIExecute "localhost" "Planning Sample x64" "CAMNamespace;CognosExpress;administrator;" "RunChore" "Your Chore Name"
NOTE: If a TI process has parameters but you omit all of them, TIExecute will use your saved default parameter values.

Other Notes:
  • The ZIP includes some very basic TI processes and chores that you can use for simple testing of TIExecute.exe.
  • The ZIP includes a text file with some additional sample commands that might be of use.
Attachments
TIExecute_1.0.0.0.zip
TIExecute.exe (x86 and x64 builds) version 1.0.0.0 with sample processes & sample commands.
(42 KiB) Downloaded 2613 times
Mike Cowie
QueBIT Consulting, LLC

Are you lost without Print Reports in Planning Analytics for Excel (PAfE)? Get it back today, for free, with Print Reports for IBM Planning Analytics for Excel!
sakkie
OLAP Product: MSAS
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2010

Re: New TI Process & Chore Command-Line Execution Utility

Post by sakkie »

Thanks for the quick response.This app has allowed me to automate the integration of hierarchy data originating from TM1 using SSIS to a data warehouse as a source for Cognos BI.
kbana
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2007

Post by kbana »

Hi Mike,

This is great, however, it keeps crashing our 64bit server 9.5.0 (moving to 9.5.1 soon) and using CAM security Name Space authentication.
The first message reads; "Successfully connected to TM1 server"
couple of minutes later it comes up with
85: SystemServerConnectionInvalid
and the server instance goes down

Looking at IBM help; error messages to do with 85 are a version mismatch between client and server - any ideas???

Do you have anything that has been tested on 64bit 9.5.0 and 9.5.1 using CAM Name Space authentication.

Many Thanks,

Chris
Mike Cowie
Site Admin

Post by Mike Cowie »

kbana wrote:Hi Mike,

This is great, however, it keeps crashing our 64bit server 9.5.0 (moving to 9.5.1 soon) and using CAM security Name Space authentication.
The first message reads; "Successfully connected to TM1 server"
couple of minutes later it comes up with
85: SystemServerConnectionInvalid
and the server instance goes down

Looking at IBM help; error messages to do with 85 are a version mismatch between client and server - any ideas???

Do you have anything that has been tested on 64bit 9.5.0 and 9.5.1 using CAM Name Space authentication.

Many Thanks,

Chris
Hi Chris,

I have to admit that my testing related to CAM security (based on the demand I was hearing) was aimed at Cognos Express Xcelerator (TM1 9.4). Have you opened anything with IBM support? A TM1 Server shouldn't crash like this regardless - they should be able help at least troubleshoot the crash. I did test with TM1 9.5.1 (not 9.5.0) without CAM security.

It seems somewhat unlikely that the problem would come after a successful login if it were to do with CAM security, however. SystemServerIncompatibleVersion is what I'd expect if the client/server version was wrong, and it would have never allowed you to connect to the server in the first place. SystemServerConnectionInvalid to me means that your connection was lost/is no longer valid - for example, if there's a networking interruption or (in this case, presumably) the server has crashed. In other words, the TM1 Server seems to be crashing between the successful CAM login and running/completing execution of the process. Why, I couldn't say - it's interesting that it's a minute or so later that you get the message, almost like the TM1 Server is crashing somewhere during process execution.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want to coordinate any further troubleshooting with IBM. For example, is there anything unusual about this process - does the crash happen on any process you run (with parameters, without parameters, with certain data sources)? Also, are you pointing to a version of the TM1 API (\bin folder with TM1API.DLL and related files) that matches the TM1 version and build of this executable (x64 or x86 version)? I wouldn't expect a TM1 Server to crash, if not, but I thought I'd ask. I've tried to run various combinations of parameters of different types and also with no parameters in my own testing. The executable, overall, is not terribly complicated in terms of communication with TM1 - it's logging in; finding the process; reading the list of parameters, their types and default values and using that information to execute the process with the correct number of parameters/values passed in.

Either way, it's probably good to get in touch with IBM since I can't help diagnose any TM1 Server crash. Let me know via PM if you have any further information/questions and I'll update this posting if there's anything to report. I'll also try some of the same tests on general process execution in TM1 9.5.0, and try to get CAM Security cooking on my 9.5.1 install for testing of more recent CAM authentication.

Regards,
Mike
Mike Cowie
QueBIT Consulting, LLC

Are you lost without Print Reports in Planning Analytics for Excel (PAfE)? Get it back today, for free, with Print Reports for IBM Planning Analytics for Excel!
kbana

Post by kbana »

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply!

We got it running, stupidly it was the ODBC driver - sometimes the TIs would run and sometimes they would crash. Testing with non-ODBC TIs was successful, we are puzzled though, as ODBC has been running fine for over a month and suddenly started crashing (and only sometimes), I have raised an issue with the relevant IT area here to have this rectified.

For now I am happy to say that your tool works very well and will save us a lot of grief :mrgreen:

Cheers
Chris
Mike Cowie
Site Admin

Post by Mike Cowie »

kbana wrote:Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply!

We got it running, stupidly it was the ODBC driver - sometimes the TIs would run and sometimes they would crash. Testing with non-ODBC TIs was successful, we are puzzled though, as ODBC has been running fine for over a month and suddenly started crashing (and only sometimes), I have raised an issue with the relevant IT area here to have this rectified.

For now I am happy to say that your tool works very well and will save us a lot of grief :mrgreen:

Cheers
Chris
Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear you've got server crashing issues cropping up, but glad to hear you've pinpointed them in more detail. It would probably be good to follow up with IBM anyway/have a glance at release notes on the chance this is something that's been fixed in 9.5.1 (or some related hot fix). Just curious - what type of ODBC source are you hitting? If it is Oracle, that's sort of curious given this thread that popped up on the forums today:

http://forums.olapforums.com/viewtopic. ... dbc#p16022

Probably unrelated, but the timing was interesting (if Oracle).

Regards,
Mike
Mike Cowie
QueBIT Consulting, LLC

gabi

Post by gabi »

Hello Mike,

Thank you for sharing.
Can you please advice what is the syntax for CAM SSO authentication (C8 BI 8.4.1)? How can I find the CAM passport?

Thank you,
Gabi
Gabi Cohen
Biconix International
Mike Cowie
Site Admin

Post by Mike Cowie »

gabi wrote:Hello Mike,

Thank you for sharing.
Can you please advice what is the syntax for CAM SSO authentication (C8 BI 8.4.1)? How can I find the CAM passport?

Thank you,
Gabi
Hi Gabi,

As I stated in my notes above, I'm not sure yet how one goes about finding the CAM passport. I've only tried and succeeded with a CAM Namespace connection to TM1.

TM1's API only provides a login method that assumes you already have the passport - my assumption is that the Cognos SDK is needed to determine the passport, but I haven't had time to explore that in much detail. Furthermore, I'm not sure yet if SSO translates well within a command-line utility like this, either, given that the assumption here is that you're running TI processes/chores within a scheduler, which is completely unattended and unable to prompt anyone for any kind of initial SSO login.

If anyone has any tips/suggestions feel free to post here or send a PM. I'm certainly happy to enhance the utility if there are better ways to integrate and support SSO/passport-related connections to TM1.

Regards,
Mike
Mike Cowie
QueBIT Consulting, LLC

dubs
Excel Version: 2003

Post by dubs »

Hi Mike,

I'm currently using your old version but fell foul when trying to use it with LDAP authentication, I know you mention the new version supports LDAP but what I'm trying to do is use the TM1 Admin account to the run the processes.

Because the TM1 admin account doesn't exist in my LDAP I can't use it when I have IntegratedSecurityMode=2 in my cfg file so I would have to use my own LDAP account to log into TM1, but this will expose my LDAP password in the batch file for any admin with access to the machine to see. This is not the end of the world for me personally but it won't be allowed once we are in production.

So just wanted to ask how you normally use ProcessExecute with LDAP authentication and whether you have to expose your LDAP password in the batch file that runs ProcessExecute?

Its seems to be a real limitation with TM1 that once you start using LDAP authentication you can't use the built-in admin account, does anybody else have any workarounds?

Cheers
Mike Cowie
Site Admin

Post by Mike Cowie »

dubs wrote: I'm currently using your old version but fell foul when trying to use it with LDAP authentication, I know you mention the new version supports LDAP but what I'm trying to do is use the TM1 Admin account to the run the processes.
The new version can support TM1's Integrated Login method, which isn't necessarily the same thing as an LDAP login with TM1. Integrated Login would be where TM1 checks to see if the Windows user ID you are authenticated as is one it knows about (via the UniqueID field in }ClientProperties"). This should now be possible with the updated EXE (TIExecute.exe) if you have Integrated Login/TM1 Server properly configured with the correct Security package, etc. One thing you have to consider when using Integrated login is how you're running the EXE - if it's part of some scheduler app, you'd need the give access in TM1 to the user that app runs under. For example, if, as a test, you manually ran the EXE from a command prompt under this user:

DOMAIN\dubs

The scheduler in production may actually be running under these credentials:

DOMAIN\scheduler

To be able to connect to the TM1 Server using Integrated Login, DOMAIN\scheduler would need to be able to connect to TM1 and have READ accesses to the processes/chores you want it to run.
dubs wrote: Because the TM1 admin account doesn't exist in my LDAP I can't use it when I have IntegratedSecurityMode=2 in my cfg file so I would have to use my own LDAP account to log into TM1, but this will expose my LDAP password in the batch file for any admin with access to the machine to see. This is not the end of the world for me personally but it won't be allowed once we are in production.
This is where I wanted to clarify a bit. There is the TM1S.CFG option, for a non-Integrated Login, to verify a user's password using either a TM1-stored password or your LDAP password. This would mean a user trying to connect to TM1 would get prompted to enter their username and password. If you have PasswordSource=LDAP in TM1S.CFG, then you are having TM1 check your entered password against an LDAP server.

If you use Integrated Login with TM1 or LDAP passwords, however, I believe you don't ever have to enter a password to connect to TM1. TM1 just validates that you are authenticated as someone TM1 knows about (again, via UniqueID in }ClientProperties) and lets you in with no prompt (unless there's a problem).
dubs wrote: So just wanted to ask how you normally use ProcessExecute with LDAP authentication and whether you have to expose your LDAP password in the batch file that runs ProcessExecute?

Its seems to be a real limitation with TM1 that once you start using LDAP authentication you can't use the built-in admin account, does anybody else have any workarounds?
The only things I can think of would be to:
- Try to use Integrated Login option with the newer TIExecute.exe, where you should not have to enter a password, at all.
- Set up a user ID in LDAP that has access to nothing on the network, but which you allow to access TM1 and only run certain processes. You could then use the password as you have been in the command, but worry less that someone could do damage if they knew the password to that particular user ID, which has access to nothing.

I know the second option isn't ideal, but I thought I'd throw it out there... Hope that helps - I'm definitely not an expert on LDAP/Windows security/Integrated Login, but we have at least a couple TM1 clients running on some combination of those LDAP/Integrated Login options.

Regards,
Mike
Mike Cowie
QueBIT Consulting, LLC

dubs

Post by dubs »

Hi Mike,
For example, if, as a test, you manually ran the EXE from a command prompt under this user:

DOMAIN\dubs

The scheduler in production may actually be running under these credentials:

DOMAIN\scheduler

To be able to connect to the TM1 Server using Integrated Login, DOMAIN\scheduler would need to be able to connect to TM1 and have READ accesses to the processes/chores you want it to run.
This is why I wanted to use the built-in Admin account as I'm not sure the scheduler will actually be run by an ID that exists in LDAP, if anything it's likely to not exist so I though using the generic Admin account would be the best way to log in. The LDAP is really just for real-life users.
This is where I wanted to clarify a bit. There is the TM1S.CFG option, for a non-Integrated Login, to verify a user's password using either a TM1-stored password or your LDAP password. This would mean a user trying to connect to TM1 would get prompted to enter their username and password. If you have PasswordSource=LDAP in TM1S.CFG, then you are having TM1 check your entered password against an LDAP server.
I think I probably haven't configured integrated login properly. I thought it was done just be the swicth in the config file- if it is possible to get TM1 to check first internally and then against LDAP for any given login this should work.

Your second suggestion is good one too but may not be feasible as I have no access/control over the LDAP database.

Thanks will have a look into integrated login.

Cheers
dubs

Post by dubs »

right, I'm not sure it's integrated login that I need, I just need to use mixed mode where TM1 either checks it's internal users or checks LDAP - setting IntegratedSecurityMode=2 doesn't work as it won't find the LDAP login so don't think this is an issue with ProcessExecute.

Cheers
dubs

Post by dubs »

yeah I was being a bit stupid and wasn't logging in properly - I think your idea of using a dedicated account to run the scheduling software and passing that account to TM1 is probably the best way forward.

Cheers
dubs

Post by dubs »

Sorry but I am editing this, I made a stupid mistake but unfortunately I was blind to it before I posted my problem (I seem to do this all the time :D )
Mike Cowie
Site Admin

TIExecute & Cognos Express Connection Notes

Post by Mike Cowie »

Hi All:

Quick note on TIExecute and Cognos Express for anyone that is using the two together or plans to do so - these notes will ultimately make it into newer release notes at some stage (hopefully after some IBM feedback on the issues noted below).

If you're using TIExecute with Cognos Express, you're almost certainly using the CAMNamespace login method. This method uses a new (to TM1 9.4) TM1 API functions to establish a connection using the new CAM Namespace login method. It does work and I've had success in both Cognos Express 9.0 and Cognos Express 9.5 with this method connecting to an Xcelerator server to run TI processes and chores.

However, there are some behavioral differences that you should be aware of with this CAMNamespace login method, as compared to native TM1 login methods (which aren't possible in Cognos Express unless you've done some major, probably unsupported, reconfiguration of your Xcelerator server):
  • THE NAMESPACE PARAMETER IS CASE-SENSITIVE. For example, "CognosExpress" would be valid, but "Cognosexpress" would NOT be valid. User ID and Password are NOT case-sensitive.
  • Failed login error messages returned by the TM1 API are incredibly unhelpful when making a CAM Namespace login. If the login attempt fails, for whatever reason, you will almost definitely see this error message: "80: SystemServerClientNotFound"
I'm going to ping IBM support when I get a chance on this, but I wanted to highlight the lack of meaningful login error messages with CAM Namespace logins. Just to reiterate, if you get this error message when attempting a CAMNamespace login:
80: SystemServerClientNotFound

It could mean one of the following problems:
  • You entered in the wrong namespace name, or didn't use the proper case for the namespace.
  • Your user ID does not exist.
  • Your password is incorrect.
Those items in bold are what will trip you up - the error message you receive is misleading in this context! :evil:

One final note on CAM Namespace logins with Cognos Express: you should be using the user ID as defined in Cognos Express, and NOT the user ID as generated on the TM1 (Xcelerator) Server. For example, the user ID "mcowie" in Cognos Express will get populated on the TM1 (Xcelerator) server as something like: Cognos Express\Michael Cowie. For the purposes of CAMNamespace login with TIExecute, you need to use "mcowie", and not "Cognos Express\Michael Cowie" (in this example).

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Mike
Mike Cowie
QueBIT Consulting, LLC

kbana

Post by kbana »

Hi Mike,

Apologies, I have been away and didn't notice your question prior to going away.

Anyway - I read the other post and we are using SQL Server (not Oracle) - hence, unrelated.

I'm not sure what SQL driver we were using, but it was an old one, updating the driver did the trick. The server is much faster to update and runs a lot better too.

Once again thanks for your great tool to kick off TIs from batch files - it comes in very handy.

Thanks
Chris
tm1jonny
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: 9.5.2

Post by tm1jonny »

This Tool is great ! Thank you very much Mike.

Just tested it with a Cognos8.4.1 Authorization Configuration ( 4 ) and it worked great. TM1 9.5.1 32.

Regards
tm1jonny
OLAP Product: tm1

Post by tm1jonny »

Hi All

Do TIExecute also run on TM1 9.5.2 ( 64 ) ?

Regards
Mike Cowie
Site Admin

Post by Mike Cowie »

tm1jonny wrote:Hi All

Do TIExecute also run on TM1 9.5.2 ( 64 ) ?

Regards
Yes - As noted above, there is a 32-bit and a 64-bit build included in the zip file, and the TM1 API functions used by this library should continue to work in newer versions of TM1.

Regards,
Mike
Mike Cowie
QueBIT Consulting, LLC

pobrouwers
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Excel Version: 2003-2007

Post by pobrouwers »

Hello,

I'm trying to use this exe with CAMpassport.
I've the CAMPassport from C8 but it doesn't work.
Whath the good syntax.
Thx in advance