Using old clients with new planning analytics server

Ideas and tips for enhancing your TM1 application
Analytics123
OLAP Product: Tm1
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 2010

Using old clients with new planning analytics server

Post by Analytics123 »

Hi we are having client 10.1 and planning to connect with new planning analytics server . is this compatible and possible to use the old client with the new server . If anyone has achieved this please let us know .

Thanks,
Admin : see the linked post in this thread for the important post in this thread http://www.tm1forum.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 785#p68776
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Re: Using old clients with new planning analytics server

Post by Elessar »

Hello! What do you mean by "client"? Architect, Perspectives, CAFE, Perf. Modeler, Cognos Insight?

Usually, you can connect using old clients to new server, but you should turn ON supportpretlsv12clients parameter in tm1s.cfg: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg27048181
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.
Analytics123

Post by Analytics123 »

Yes we want architecture to connect . We are in 10.1 and trying to connect to IBM Planning Analytics .

I have added the entry in the config file
SupportPreTLSv12Clients=T and restarted the server .

But the server shows up but we could not login to it .
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9

Post by Elessar »

What do you mean by "could not login"? The login window did not appear? Are there any errors?
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.
Analytics123

Post by Analytics123 »

we see the server on double clicking on the server nothing happens, Will not show me the login credentials to enter or log me in through integrated login . But it works with the new client .

I alos have additional parameter IPAddress= T
SupportPreTLSv12Clients=T

in the config files.
ykud
MVP

Post by ykud »

I think PAL and TM1 10.x use different security certificates, can you check the versions / sizes of applix.ca file in bin64/ssl folder for PA and 10.1 client?

Difference in ssl certs would look exactly as you describe (see the server, cannot connect). You can enable the Login logging in tm1 server to see whether there's a SSL handshake issue.

Cheers,
Y
mberson
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0

Post by mberson »

Having this same experience as well. We often use the older version of Perspectives/Architect to connect to the new and old version of servers during an upgrade project. We opened a ticket with IBM and they stated that Perspectives/Architect 10.1.x and 10.2.x will not be able to connect to PA Local 2.0.x whc.

Haven't looked into the SSL certs yet, but that does make sense.

Any other feedback on this?
Matthew Berson
ACG TM1 Consulting
qml
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9 and all previous
Excel Version: 2007 - 2016

Post by qml »

We have a PAL 2.0.4 server and our users are using a multitude of Perspective/Architect versions, going back as far as version 9.5.1. Here are the things that need to be done:

1) set the TM1 Admin server to support pre-TLS v1.2 clients via Cognos Configuration

2) add in tm1s.cfg:

Code: Select all

SSLCertificateID=TM1Server
SSLCertAuthority=ibmtm1.arm
3) copy ibmtm1.arm file from PA2 installed directory to bin/ssl and bin64/ssl folders of Perspectives/Architect installation (or, really, anywhere else on the client machine or a network share accessible from it)

4) change in TM1 Options in Perspectives/Architect:
Certicate Authority: full path to the copied ibmtm1.arm file
CertificateID: TM1Server (case-sensitive)
Last edited by qml on Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kamil Arendt
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

qml wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:34 pm We have a PAL 2.0.4 server and our users are using a multitude of Perspective/Architect versions, going back as far as version 9.5.1. Here are the things that need to be done:
1) set the TM1 Admin server to support pre-TLS v1.2 clients via Cognos Configuration
2) add in tm1s.cfg:
3) copy ibmtm1.arm file from PA2 installed directory to bin/ssl and bin64/ssl folders of Perspectives/Architect installation (or, really, anywhere else on the client machine or a network share accessible from it)
Can I recommend we put this post in the Tips and Tricks section? Great info, thanks.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
macsir
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PAL 2.0.9
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by macsir »

qml wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:34 pm We have a PAL 2.0.4 server and our users are using a multitude of Perspective/Architect versions, going back as far as version 9.5.1. Here are the things that need to be done:
2) add in tm1s.cfg:
Brilliant! Thanks for sharing. I got it working on my current 10.2.2 fp4 client to connect to PA2 server by changing the configurations above. Just need to remember to reboot your admin host after changing in Cognos Configuration.
A quick Q, is there any difference between the old client of V10 and PA client when connecting to PA2 server? Especially from end user point of view?
In TM1,the answer is always yes though sometimes with a but....
http://tm1sir.blogspot.com.au/
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Paul Segal
Community Contributor
Version: TM1 11 and up
Excel Version: Too many to count

Post by Paul Segal »

Just in case anyone else goes down the same rabbit hole:

Step 3 on Kamil's post implies (or at least it did to me) that you don't need to add the ibmtm1.arm file to the local install \ssl directory. Using 10.2 and 10.2.2 it wouldn't work for me unless that file is in the \ssl directory, no matter which directory I pointed the SSL Certificate Authority to.
Paul
qml
MVP

Post by qml »

Paul Segal wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:29 pmStep 3 on Kamil's post implies (or at least it did to me) that you don't need to add the ibmtm1.arm file to the local install \ssl directory. Using 10.2 and 10.2.2 it wouldn't work for me unless that file is in the \ssl directory, no matter which directory I pointed the SSL Certificate Authority to.
Hi Paul, that is interesting. My post was indeed meant to imply that you don't need to put the file in the ssl directory. In newer Windows versions Program Files is locked down and you'd need admin access to put any files in there, which is often not possible. In all my testing simply linking to an external, network share holding ibmtm1.arm worked without having to put the file in the ssl folder.
Can you tell me more about your setup? Is it only Architect/Perspectives? Are you using any VBA or any other custom stuff?
Kamil Arendt
Paul Segal
Community Contributor
Version: TM1 11 and up
Excel Version: Too many to count

Post by Paul Segal »

Hi Kamil,

The only non-vanilla thing is that this is running on Citrix, and the way this is set up I don't have access to the \ssl directory for the Citrix image to add the imbtm1.arm file. It is only Architect/Perspectives for the moment. I tried it on a local copy of TM1 and I had the same issue. Clients are 10.2 and 10.2.2. The only way I could get this to work was to set UseSSL=F on the server, and then the TM1 server instances are visible and I'm able to log in. If I don't do this, the instances are visible, but I get the hour glass and no login pop-up.
Paul
Catherine
Version: 10.2.2 - PA

Post by Catherine »

2) add in tm1s.cfg:

Code: Select all

Thank you very much, it worked perfectly well for me.
But I have a question. Once I have done the step 4, I see my instances that are migrated to Planning Analytics. But I don't see any more 10.2.2 instances that are not migrated yet. Is there a way to see at the same time PA instances, and 10.2.2 instances ?

Thanks in advance
qml
MVP

Post by qml »

Catherine wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:36 am But I have a question. Once I have done the step 4, I see my instances that are migrated to Planning Analytics. But I don't see any more 10.2.2 instances that are not migrated yet. Is there a way to see at the same time PA instances, and 10.2.2 instances ?
Hi Catherine,
Yes, you will need to change all the TM1 Options settings you changed in step 4 back to the original ones and you will then see the 10.2.2 servers. So you can't access both versions at the same time - you'll have to keep flipping your settings I'm afraid.
Kamil Arendt
mfritsche
Version: 2.0.6

Post by mfritsche »

Greetings,

while connecting to a TM1 server (PA 2.0.8) with a TM1 client (PA 2.0.6) is possible, is this a constellation supported by IBM?