Ideas and tips for enhancing your TM1 application
gtonkin
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

TM1Web Websheet Charts / Graphs not rendering

Post by gtonkin »

Posting to save others time should they encounter a similar issue.
Had an issue where I had created a basic websheet with a line chart plotting Actual vs Budget. All very basic DBRWs, to get data. Cleaned up formatting and published. Opened on TM1Web and chart showed up as a placeholder indicating a missing link to resource.

After much cursing, it turned out to be hiding rows below the chart that broke it. Seems like a reasonable thing to do but no matter where I hid rows from, same results, broken graph. Left as unhidden, all works. HTH
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: TM1Web Websheet Charts / Graphs not rendering

Post by declanr »

To add to this I have seen a similar thing but in my experience you can get away with some hiding but you need a good but varying number of visible rows.
So I have had it work where there is a chart (or charts) a number of hidden rows of data (that the chart is based on) then say 20 visible but empty rows. Then hide all the rows below that like I normally do with Web sheets, just in case... saying that the hiding extra rows isn't really a problem any more but in old versions the web did sometimes decide to try and render them when left visible; haven't seen it in 10.2.2 or later doing that though.
Declan Rodger
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

I am seeing this behaviour on 10.2.2 FP4 and PA 2.0.1.
In terms of leaving some visible but blank rows - I experiment with 5, 10, 20, 100 - seems to behave the same.

@Declan - would appreciate if you have 5 mins to create a basic chart like the one below-basically typed in some random numbers, highlighted, click on line chart, saved and uploaded then opened in TM1Web:
chart_working.PNG
chart_working.PNG (16.2 KiB) Viewed 22593 times
Took the same workbook and hid from row 105 onwards, graph not rendered-only difference between 10.2.2 FP4 and PA is that PA does not show the placeholder when "broken":
chart_broken.PNG
chart_broken.PNG (7.88 KiB) Viewed 22593 times
Thanks in advance

p.s. Book1 was with no rows hidden, chart.xlsx has hidden rows-apologies for poor naming.
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

Haven't had a chance to do a proper test but had a look at a sheet I created for one of the models I am working with at the moment, when Infirst created it they were on an early FP of 10.2.2 (1 or 2) now they are on FP7 and it still works ok.

The part I had incorrectly remembered was that you do need to have the data cells that are the source for your chart visible... but when I say visible I just mean in the computers mind; on this one I made it a white font on a white background, no grid lines and whacked the row height down to super tiny. Essentially it looked like 1 standard rows height and was the buffer before my page border I had put on but it actually contained 15 or so rows of data.
I have done a similar thing with columns previously where the data for charts was off to the right of the page.

In addition to that I have some unhidden rows under the chart because although they have nothing in, the chart seems to need a bit of extra space to render correctly; despite it appearing the correct size and in the right place in the web.
Declan Rodger
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

Thanks Declan, I generally do the same with the white font rather than change the chart options to allow data in hidden ranges.
Just not getting the expected results on my side.
rafaewolie
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: TM1 PA 2.0
Excel Version: Excel 2013

Post by rafaewolie »

Did You check If the Hidden options are selected on Select Data option on the chart setup?

like the atachment
Attachments
erro-graf.png
erro-graf.png (4.56 KiB) Viewed 22349 times
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

rafaewolie wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:23 pm Did You check If the Hidden options are selected on Select Data option on the chart setup?like the atachment
Hi Rafaewolie, thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately this is one of the things I tried without success. For now I am making sure that I delete "unused" rows and columns then hide the columns only. Seems fine for web purposes as web seems to only work with the used range in the sheet.
rafaewolie

Post by rafaewolie »

Another thing that I noticed is that, When the last row of some perspectives are hidden, the TM1Web counts 3 or 4 (I'm not sure of the number) rows and then cuts the rest of the hidden lines. I think in that case, the suggestion that Declanr gave You about the white font in white BG Will function, at least to make TM1Web consider the hidden lines. Put a character in a row below the hidden rows.

Another possible solution would be to reduce the row height to 2px. It does not show the content on the screen , but the computer considers this row as unhidden.

Does It make sense?
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

Thanks for testing this out-Will try it again but did not seem to work whether I left 5, 50, 100 or more rows before hiding.
rafaewolie

Post by rafaewolie »

Not before, but After.

Put some character like the picture that I Attached.

The Hidden part is in red, so After that You put some character to paint with White color just to not show It to user.

And Then, TM1Web consider the row that contains "Character that Will garantee that the TM1Web Will read until here" as the last row

got It?
Attachments
erro-graf2.png
erro-graf2.png (9 KiB) Viewed 22290 times