Ideas and tips for enhancing your TM1 application
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Bedrock Issues

Post by Alan Kirk »

For anyone who is using the Bedrock library of TI functions, I thought it might be useful to have a central thread where issues relating to use or documentation can be aggregated. It would probably be useful if the issues were kept to a standard format as shown in the next few posts.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Re: Bedrock Issues (Documentation) Issue 1

Post by Alan Kirk »

Issue: Documentation. (Non-existent Parameter)
Process: Various, including Bedrock.Cube.Data.Export and Bedrock.Cube.View.Create
Version: 3.0

Details
The documentation refers to a non-existent parameter called pSkipConsols. Note that this is not the same as the pSuppressConsol parameter, which serves a completely different purpose. That parameter does not seem to exist in any process at all. Obviously if someone includes it in a process call it will crash the call chain; calling a process with an undefined parameter drops it dead.
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Re: Bedrock Issues (Documentation) Issue 2

Post by Alan Kirk »

Issue: Documentation. (Misnamed Parameter)
Process: Various, including Bedrock.Cube.Data.Clear and Bedrock.Cube.Data.Copy

Details
The documentation refers to a parameter named pDeleteTempObj. The real parameter name is pDestroyTempObj. If you copy and paste from the manual, the call fails because the parameter does not exist.

In the case of Bedrock.Cube.Data.Copy there is also a comma missing after the pDeleteTempObj parameter value in the example, which will cause a compile error if you simply copy and paste it.
-----------
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Re: Bedrock Issues (Documentation) Issue 3

Post by Alan Kirk »

Issue: Documentation. (Output varies from documentation)
Process: Bedrock.Cube.Data.Export

Details
Per the documentation, pFileName parameter: "If no file name is provided, a combination of the cube, dimension and element suffixed by 'export.csv' will be used."
It actually gets generated as CubeName_Export.csv.
This will be a problem if you are generating multiple exports for multiple dimension / element combinations; each new file will simply overwrite the previous one.
The workaround is to always specify a value for the pFileName parameter.
-----------
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Re: Bedrock Issues (Coding Issue) Issue 4

Post by Alan Kirk »

Issue: Behavioural (Coding Issue)
Process: Bedrock.Dim.Sub.Create.ByElement

Details
On lines 192 and 197 there are output calls to the debug file such as:

Code: Select all

If( pDebug <= 1 );
          AsciiOutput( sDebugFile, 'Element: ' | sElement | ' has been added to the subset.' );
This means that even if you have debug off (value 0), your log file directory will get cluttered with the debug file anyway.

I believe it was meant to be >=1, not <=1.
-----------
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Re: Bedrock Issues (Code Correction Issue) Issue 5

Post by Alan Kirk »

Issue: Correcting Code
Process: Various

Details
If a process has a coding error you may need to correct it in your own environment rather than waiting for the next iteration of Bedrock to be released with the corrections. The problem is that some Bedrock code has a cube view data source, a source which of course points to a cube which is not on your system. This can make modifying the code problematic. To rectify this you can create a Bedrock Test cube on your own system using the following code:

SC_NAME = 'Bedrock Test';

If ( CubeExists( SC_NAME ) = 1) ;
    ItemReject ( 'Cube already exists');
EndIf;

iDimIdx = 1;

While ( iDimIdx <= 27 );
    sDim = 'BedrockTestDim' | Trim ( Str ( iDimIdx, 2, 0 ) );

If ( DimensionExists( sDim ) = 0 );

DimensionCreate ( sDim );

iEltIdx = 1;

While ( iEltIdx <= 10 );

sElt = 'Element ' | Trim ( Str ( iEltIdx, 2, 0 ) );

DimensionElementInsert( sDim, '', sElt, 'N');

iEltIdx =  iEltIdx + 1;

End;

EndIf;

iDimIdx = iDimIdx + 1;

End;

CubeCreate( SC_NAME, 'BedrockTestDim1', 'BedrockTestDim2', 
 'BedrockTestDim3', 'BedrockTestDim4', 'BedrockTestDim5', 'BedrockTestDim6', 
 'BedrockTestDim7', 'BedrockTestDim8', 'BedrockTestDim9', 'BedrockTestDim10', 
 'BedrockTestDim11', 'BedrockTestDim12', 'BedrockTestDim13', 'BedrockTestDim14', 
 'BedrockTestDim15', 'BedrockTestDim16', 'BedrockTestDim17', 'BedrockTestDim18', 
 'BedrockTestDim19', 'BedrockTestDim20', 'BedrockTestDim21', 'BedrockTestDim22', 
 'BedrockTestDim23', 'BedrockTestDim24', 'BedrockTestDim25', 'BedrockTestDim26', 'BedrockTestDim27');

ViewCreate(SC_NAME, SC_NAME);
ViewCreate(SC_NAME, 'Temp');
-----------
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Re: Bedrock Issues (Coding Issue) Issue 6

Post by Alan Kirk »

Process: Bedrock.Cube.Data.Copy

Details
Similar to Issue 4 above. To edit the process to fix this you may need to create the Bedrock Test cube, instructions for which are in Issue 5.

In the Epilog ( around line 74) you will find:

IF( pDebug <= 1 );
to trigger code reporting that temporary objects were destroyed. You will therefore get that report even if debugging is set to 0 (off). This one is slightly more annoying than issue 4 in two respects:
(a) The file in the logging folder incorrectly reports that the file is being generated by the Prolog, which means that you can waste a lot of time trying to find out where the file is coming from. (The debug file name is (correctly) only changed to Epilog if the pDebug value is >=1.); and
(b) Because the source is a cube view of a cube that you pretty certainly won't have on your system until or unless you create it. And until then you can't edit the process to fix that. See issue 5 for instructions on how to create the cube.
-----------
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Re: Bedrock Issues (Coding Issue) Issue 7

Post by Alan Kirk »

Process: Various, including Bedrock.Cube.Clone, Bedrock.Cube.Data.Copy, Bedrock.Cube.Data.ImportFromFile and others (54 processes in total)

Details
There is a block of code in the Epilog that reads as follows:

### If errors occurred terminate process with a major error status ###

If( nErrors <> 0 );
  ProcessQuit;
However ProcessQuit does not in fact return an error status of any kind. If you compare the return value from ExecuteProcess, a ProcessQuit; statement will cause the process to return the value ProcessExitByQuit(). To get a ProcessExitSeriousError() return value it would have been necessary for the Bedrock code to have used the ProcessError; statement.

This will only be an issue if:
(a) You are relying on the return value for flow control; and
(b) You take the comment at its word that the code will return a serious error.
-----------
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Re: Bedrock Issues (Behaviour Issue 8)

Post by Alan Kirk »

Issue: Unexpected behaviour in certain circumstances
Process: Bedrock.Dim.Sub.Create.Consolidation.Leaf

Details
This is something that will rarely catch anyone out if they:
(a) Utilise the process only as per the description in the manual and
(b) Sanitise their input before calling it, since while the process does an extensive range of validation checks there is one thing that it doesn't do, as we shall see.

In my own case there was a residual issue from some contract work that was done long ago using a pre-release version of Bedrock, and which reared its head when I upgraded the code base to version 3.0 this year.

The process is supposed to create a subset of N level descendants of a particular consolidation, not including the consolidation itself. However the process does not test whether the "consolidation" really is a consolidation. If you pass an N element you won't get an error. You may or may not get a populated subset, as described below.

In our case there was a need to create a subset from an element selection in a websheet. If an N element was selected, that element would need to be the subset, otherwise the N descendants of the selected consolidation would be used as the subset. This is not in theory what Bedrock.Dim.Sub.Create.Consolidation.Leaf is supposed to do (nor its predecessor process, presumably), but it did it anyway. Then after the upgrade to 3.0 the calling process stopped working. Or, more disturbingly, it stopped working sometimes.

Specifically I found that if the element was an N element without an alias, then the calling process would still work. If the element had an alias, it would fail.

The reason: Bedrock.Dim.Sub.Create.Consolidation.Leaf is really just a wrapper around the Bedrock.Dim.Sub.Create, passing it all of the received parameters, but with 0 hard coded as both the Level From and Level To parameters.

Bedrock.Dim.Sub.Create iterates through the All subset of the specified dimension to do the addition of elements. However it uses a subtractive rather than additive approach. That is, it checks to see whether each element in the dimension does not match with the parameters specified. If it doesn't, then it itemskips that element. If the element being tested is not skipped by one of the tests, it's added to the subset.

In creating a subset from a consolidation element, the relevant test (in pseudo-code) is this:

If the consolidation is NOT an ancestor of the the element, AND if the element is NOT the same as the consolidation, then skip it.
"Hang on", I hear you say, "But the consolidation itself would fail the second arm of that test (because it is the same as the consolidation) and therefore would not be skipped. Why isn't it always included in the subset?"

Because the later test for the element level will catch a real consolidation and skip it there. Remember that the call limited the level of subset members to level 0.

However...

If the specified "consolidation" is an N element and does not have an alias, then it won't be skipped by the test specified above. Nor will it be skipped by the level test, since it is level 0. The result is that you end up with a subset consisting of just that one element.

If on the other hand the "consolidation" has an alias then it won't equal the element, and it will be skipped by the first test. You therefore end up with an empty subset. The first you find out about this is when the subset becomes part of a view and the view becomes a data source which causes the process that the data source is assigned to to crash and burn.

Remedies
The process should probably have a test added to confirm that the received element is a consolidation and spit an error if it isn't to keep the behaviour consistent. A test that the resulting subset really does have members (and an error if it doesn't) probably wouldn't hurt. Of course anyone using legacy code similar to ours would need to update it.

In the absence of that any calling code should do that check itself and only call the process if the "consolidation" really is one is. If it isn't then the calling process should call the SubsetCreate / SubsetElementInsert pair of functions. (Or Bedrock.Dim.Sub.Create.ByElement if a Bedrock only approach is preferred.)
-----------
Andrew_M
OLAP Product: Tm1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2k10

Re: Bedrock Issues (Coding Issue) Issue 9

Post by Andrew_M »

Process: Bedrock.Dim.Element.Component.Delete

Details
There is a block of code in the Prolog that validates pParent input parameter:

# Validate Parent
If( Trim( pParent ) @= '' );
  nErrors = 1;
  sMessage = 'No Parent element specified';
  If( pDebug >= 1 );
    AsciiOutput( sDebugFile, sMessage );
  EndIf;
  ItemReject( sMessage );
EndIf;
If( DimIx( pDimension, pElement ) = 0 );
  nErrors = 1;
  sMessage = 'Parent element ' | pParent | ' does not exist in dimension: ' | pDimension;
  If( pDebug >= 1 );
  EndIf;
  ItemReject( sMessage );
EndIf;
DimIx function in this section checks pElement parameter instead of pParent.

I believe that correct validation should look as follows:

If( DimIx( pDimension, pParent ) = 0 );
  nErrors = 1;
  sMessage = 'Parent element ' | pParent | ' does not exist in dimension: ' | pDimension;
  If( pDebug >= 1 );
  EndIf;
  ItemReject( sMessage );
EndIf;
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: Bedrock Issues

Post by Steve Vincent »

Issue: TI fails when destination has rules
Process: Bedrock.Dim.Import, Bedrock.Dim.Export

Details
If used in conjunction with Bedrock.Dim.Export, the output file will include any rule-derived values from the element attributes cube. The import does not check if the destination is writable, so if numeric attributes for consolidated elements are rule-derived the import will fail.In all other cases the destination could simply not have the rules to start with (assuming same as source), but numeric overrides of consolidations are the exception.

Solution;
Change the code in the DATA tab;

ORIGINAL

ELSEIF(
V1 @= 'V' );
  If( pDebug <= 1 );
    IF(
    DTYPE( sAttrDimName, V3 ) @= 'AN' );
      ATTRPUTN( StringToNumber( V4 ), pDimension, V2, V3 );
    ELSE;
      ATTRPUTS( V4, pDimension, V2, V3 );
    ENDIF;
  EndIf;
  If( pDebug >= 1 );
    ASCIIOUTPUT( sDebugFile, 'Load Attribute.', V2, V3, V4);    
  EndIf;
ENDIF;
UPDATED

ELSEIF(
V1 @= 'V' );
  IF ( CellISUpdateable ( '}ElementAttributes_' | pDimension, V2, V3 ) = 1 ) ;
  If( pDebug <= 1 );
    IF(
    DTYPE( sAttrDimName, V3 ) @= 'AN' );
      ATTRPUTN( StringToNumber( V4 ), pDimension, V2, V3 );
    ELSE;
      ATTRPUTS( V4, pDimension, V2, V3 );
    ENDIF;
  EndIf;
  If( pDebug >= 1 );
    ASCIIOUTPUT( sDebugFile, 'Load Attribute.', V2, V3, V4);    
  EndIf;
  EndIF;
ENDIF;

ADDITIONAL
The import TI does not deal with elements that no longer exist in the source file, meaning its a poor solution for dim maintainenace.
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Elessar »

Bedrock has moved to Gtihub: https://github.com/cubewise-code/bedrock
I think we can now commit the issues there (if they are not resolved: some processes have versions > 3.0)
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.
HighKeys
OLAP Product: TM1 / TM1 Web / Perspectives
Version: Planning Analytics V2.0.9
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by HighKeys »

Hello,

i have to ask you guys, was there big changes between Bedrock 2 and 3 ?

I found out we have V2 installed at our server and not sure which functions are used and if there was changes in the calls... Just found it for V3 to V4

May someone can give me a smart tip how i can solve this fast?

Wanna update :lol:

Thanks!
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Post by lotsaram »

Bedrock v2 is at least 6 years old.
All I can say is that every effort was made to maintain backwards compatibility between v3 & v2.

Anyone still using v2 ... really shouldn't be.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
HighKeys
OLAP Product: TM1 / TM1 Web / Perspectives
Version: Planning Analytics V2.0.9

Post by HighKeys »

Thanks!

Yes i know its very old, just started here in the Company and i'm also new to TM1, but i found many old logics and files that where not updated right...

I will try and respond you here where i get issues in my test enviroment.

Thanks for your Help!
Adam
OLAP Product: IBM PA
Version: 2.0.9.x
Excel Version: Microsoft 365 x64

Post by Adam »

I've gotten so much out of this community, it's time I put something back in.

The parameter pSuppressConsol does not work properly for }bedrock.cube.data.copy.intercube.pro. Errors occur when trying to copy string across cubes.

In the above process, search for:
# Allow consolidations only if pSuppressConsol is set to 0

You find the below, it is evident there is no consideration for pSuppressConsol.

If ( DTYPE( sDimension, sElement) @= 'C' );
            sMessage = Expand( 'In pMappingToNewDims - Target element: %sElement% for dimension %sDimension% is consolidated' );
            nErrors = nErrors + 1;
            LogOutput( cMsgErrorLevel, Expand( cMsgErrorContent ) );
            #ProcessError();
          Endif;  
We created a local copy of this process and replaced the above with the following:

If ( DTYPE( sDimension, sElement) @= 'C' );
              If( pSuppressConsol <> 1 );
                nSuppressConsol = 0;
                nSubN = 1;
              Else;
                sMessage = Expand( 'Target element: %sElement% for dimension %sDimension% is consolidated' );
                nErrors = nErrors + 1;
                #ProcessBreak;
              Endif;  
          Endif; 
This block is adapted from }bedrock.cube.data.copy.pro.

Cheers.
Take care.
Adam
lotsaram
MVP

Post by lotsaram »

If you have adapted (and improved) the code please create a pull request on the bedrock GitHub repository so all can benefit.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
lotsaram
MVP

Post by lotsaram »

Adam Havas wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:01 pm I've gotten so much out of this community, it's time I put something back in.

The parameter pSuppressConsol does not work properly for }bedrock.cube.data.copy.intercube.pro. Errors occur when trying to copy string across cubes.
Hi Adam,

Someone else noticed the same issue and in fact we have just pushed a fix for the issue in the data.clear process
https://github.com/cubewise-code/bedrock/pull/115

pLogging parameter now accepts also a value of 2 which means don't change the logging state. This can be used to avoid exactly the lock you describe.

For now the fix is just in the data.clear process but probably the same fix is needed in most of the .cube processes
.copy
.copy.intercube
.loadfromfile
.clone
etc.
Adam
OLAP Product: IBM PA
Version: 2.0.9.x
Excel Version: Microsoft 365 x64

Post by Adam »

I've been having issues with getting }bedrock.cube.data.import.pro to work. I want others to avoid the headache I have, so I'm documenting my findings and workaround.

Issue with pQuote

In the documentation, it claims that pQuote accepts an empty quote. This is not the case.

}bedrock.cube.data.import.pro

# Row 445

If( pQuote @= '' );
    ## Use no quote character 
Else;
Then

# Row 541

## Validate quote character
If( pQuote @= '' );
  sMessage = 'Error: The quote charecter is blank.';
  nErrors = nErrors + 1;
ElseIf( Long( pQuote ) > 1 );
  sMessage = 'Invalid string qualIfier: ' | pQuote | ' quote character must be single character.';
  nErrors = nErrors + 1;
EndIf;
This above block will always lead to a process error because of the malformed if statement.

Issue with pDelim

A second, unrelated issue with pDelim. After significant processing is done to pDelim into pDelimiter (rows 422-444), it is simply reverted back to the provided parameter on row 529.

}bedrock.cube.data.import.pro

# Row 529

## Validate delimiter
pDelimiter = TRIM(pDelim);
If( pDelimiter @= '' );
  sMessage = 'Error: The file delimiter parameter is blank.';
  nErrors = nErrors + 1;
ElseIf( Long( pDelimiter ) > 1 );
  sMessage = 'Invalid delimiter specified: ' | pDelimiter | ' field delimiter must be single character.';
  nErrors = nErrors + 1;
EndIf;
If I entered an ASCII character, this will trigger a process error.

My workaround:
I simply commented out rows 494 through 515 in }bedrock.cube.data.import.pro
Take care.
Adam
lotsaram
MVP

Post by lotsaram »

Hi Adam,

I assume you know that there is a issue list for bedrock on GitHub? https://github.com/cubewise-code/bedrock/issues
Thanks for raising the issue here. I agree it's a valid issue and it has bugged me as well. But actually raising an issue on the bedrock site makes for a much higher probability of it getting fixed.

Bedrock is not static but as an open source project, it is changing and improving (but constrained of course by input from the community). There is actually a current pull request to address the very issue you describe https://github.com/cubewise-code/bedrock/pull/138 which will allow for empty quote character definition. Merging this has been held up for a while due to a request to also fix defining delimiter and quote via ascii numeric codes (another issue you described).

Everyone is welcome to contribute.

Fixes are happening regularly so anyone using bedrock on a project should always start with a fresh pull of the library and check back regularly for updates. Don't use some zip file lying around in your file system as it is most likely out of date.

When citing code line reference the numbering in the pro file isn't very meaningful. It's more helpful to cite the code line as you see it in the relevant tab of the process code editor. e.g. first check for empty pQuote is #154 of the prolog.
2020-04-21_10-06-57.png
2020-04-21_10-06-57.png (52.85 KiB) Viewed 80872 times