IBM Cognos TM1 Cookbook

Advertisements, add-ons and other commercial information
KarenB60
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: version 9.5.1
Excel Version: excel 2003

IBM Cognos TM1 Cookbook

Post by KarenB60 »

I received a copy of the IBM Cognos TM1 Cookbook from Packt Publishing and was asked to write a review on this Forum and also Amazon - here is my review below

"Having recently taken on a TM1 Administrator role I have found this book to be useful at times. As an existing TM1 user with no IT Support this book has been helpful in certain areas on successfully creating Cubes, creating Dimensions and TI Processes. One thing I found a bit difficult to follow was the Rules & Feeder section, the book doesn't actually help you out if something doesn't feed properly. I think that this book is more for people who have TM1 experience rather than starting off from scratch. TM1 users and Developers who use the system every day will find this book helpful. I intend to use the recipes in this Cookbook to further develop my knowledge."

I have not read all this book but will do.

Admin: Moved to the commercial section due the marketing nature of the post. Could you please read the forum rules regarding commercially aimed posts. Thanks.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: IBM Cognos TM1 Cookbook

Post by Alan Kirk »

KarenB60 wrote:I received a copy of the IBM Cognos TM1 Cookbook from Packt Publishing and was asked to write a review on this Forum and also Amazon - here is my review below
Hang on a sec... who exactly asked you to write a review of it here? Because if Packt Publishing or the author concerned is encouraging people to do so, that's apt to get any mention of their backsides booted from here under our zero tolerance of spam (or anything that looks like, walks like or has the same body odour as spam) policy.

Note that I'm not saying that there was anything wrong with your review itself, it seemed quite even handed; but if Packt or the author is persuading people to give the thing air time on someone else's dime in some curious attempt at viral marketing, I believe that it shall elicit more than a little surliness in these parts.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
rozef
Version: 9.4 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2003 - 2007

Post by rozef »

It's on the web too:

http://bihints.com/book/export/html/2

I found it very interesting too, but it doesnt teach you any model etablishment, it looks like more has a mixing of technical tips (though I haven't also real all).
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

rozef wrote:It's on the web too:
With the exception of the name, the one has nothing to do with the other.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
rozef
Version: 9.4 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2003 - 2007

Post by rozef »

Sorry, I didn't know there was a serious one.
Edward Stuart
Community Contributor
Version: All
Excel Version: All

Post by Edward Stuart »

I've bought this book and have traversed a number of it's chapters and so far have found that is it useful for the beginner as a starting point but an intermediate user would quickly find it is rarely used for it's tutorials or as a reference point given the information available in this forum and the standard nature of the tutorials involved. The focus is on using the wizards to import data and create dimensions as opposed to coding directly with the variables.

The book has irked me with it's spelling errors and it's constant reference to opening TM1 and logging in. Yes, I got it the first time you told me. Why must you take 1 page in every 5 to tell me again :x
TM1 users and Developers who use the system every day will find this book helpful
I don't think TM1 Users would find this useful as 90+% of the subject matter is unavailable to them, Developers would quickly outgrow it but it is a useful starting point for a new TM1 administrator.
goldsmt
OLAP Product: TM1, enterprise planing, power
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2007

Post by goldsmt »

I bought this book and then did the official TM1 developers course with IBM. The material in the book is exactly the same as that delivered on the course, even some of the mistakes that the instructor pointed out to us had been replicated in the book, a copy typist could have written this book with the training materials provided on the course.

I showed this book to the instructor and he was amazed that someone could just copy the material from a course and have it published. I have bought other books in the range and found them useful and unique, this book however is a blatant copy

Tony Goldsmith
jameswebber
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Cognos Express 10
Version: CE 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by jameswebber »

I reviewed this book here my feeling it is is very general and not worth the moment
http://www.amazon.com/IBM-Cognos-Cookbo ... 255&sr=8-1

I'm still reading the official book http://www.amazon.com/IBM-Cognos-TM1-Of ... 0071765697
But I feel this is more useful.
The first part is mostly IBM sales guff and background
The second part is the tm1 tools, info about feeders etc
The last part seem to have some good case studies/cookbook recipes

So really maybe the Ankit Garg's Packt Publishing "IBM Cognos TM1 Cookbook" should be renamed the "Intro to IBM Cognos TM1 for people to lazy to read the IBM documentation with a few little hints"
And the IBM book should be called IBM Cognos TM1 The Official Guide and Cookbook?