Suggest and discuss enhancements for TM1
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Removing the Danger of Data Spreading

Post by Steve Vincent »

Data spreading is useful, but in its current implimentation downright dangerous too. The shortcuts that work in Excel as well as the cube browser are all too easily hit by accident, especially Clear.

I'd like to see more options for controlling if spreading can be used. Server side, option to disable spreading entirely, enable it only via the right-click menu, or enable fully including shortcuts (as now). Maybe even add the same options to the client, where the more restictive option (server or client) will always win.

Too often i have seen data changed where somene has missed the CTRL key when copying data. Yes, you can ask people to be more careful but key errors will always happen. I'd just like to see such minor errors have far less serious consequences.

Thoughts?
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
George Regateiro
MVP
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2007 SP3

Re: Removing the Danger of Data Spreading

Post by George Regateiro »

I think this would be great. We have already asked IBM for some control on their break back functionality. Our request did not go to the level of controlling menus and the like, but we were wanting some control of the feature (at least a server level toggle).
garry cook
Community Contributor
Version: Various
Excel Version: Various

Post by garry cook »

Bit of necromancy but given both A) I couldn't find reference to this functionality on the forum when I went looking following our upgrade and this is the first thread related to "disable spreading" so it might help someone else searching in the future and B) John H's long standing battle of over 10 years to disable spreading (including the config setting which never worked back in V9) meaning an accidental repost is unlikely to offend.

Disable spreading now finally works by setting "Deny" in the "Allow Spreading" field of Capability Assignments as per this link. Tested it on the web front end reasonably heavily and although you can't turn off for Admin, you can turn off for users.

Was a show stopper for us using the web interface for fear of users with butter fingers and after a decade of waiting on them disabling this functionality, it was nice to see it finally implemented ;)
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

garry cook wrote:Bit of necromancy but given both A) I couldn't find reference to this functionality on the forum when I went looking following our upgrade and this is the first thread related to "disable spreading" so it might help someone else searching in the future and B) John H's long standing battle of over 10 years to disable spreading (including the config setting which never worked back in V9) meaning an accidental repost is unlikely to offend.

Disable spreading now finally works by setting "Deny" in the "Allow Spreading" field of Capability Assignments as per this link. Tested it on the web front end reasonably heavily and although you can't turn off for Admin, you can turn off for users.

Was a show stopper for us using the web interface for fear of users with butter fingers and after a decade of waiting on them disabling this functionality, it was nice to see it finally implemented ;)
Haven't used that yet but sounds good and well overdue. I think we were all wondering when the Capabilities cube would actually start to DO something.
The new Cell Security concept with reduced dimensionality in 10.2 can also be very useful to control spreading on a cube by cube basis and the parameter ProportionSpreadToZeroCells is also useful.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.