Suggest and discuss enhancements for TM1
Christopher Kernahan
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: Office 2010

Server Explorer Shortcut

Post by Christopher Kernahan »

For as long as I've used TM1 I've used a shortcut combination to open the Server Explorer window from the Excel client.

It used to be Alt + 1 + S to open the Server Explorer. Very easy to fire up, you could do it one-handed...

When using Excel 2010, the shortcut combination is now;

Alt + ! + T + M + Y + 3

which is actually

Alt + (Shift + 1) + T + M + Y + 3

which is obviously useless as a shortcut.

Can we revert to the old method? Or a shorter shortcut?
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Server Explorer Shortcut

Post by lotsaram »

Redmond wants us all to use the mouse. Keyboard shortcuts (and speed + efficiency) are all you know so 1980s.
I don't know if it is dependent on regional settings but for me Y3 is disconnect and server explorer is Y4.

Also if Alt is first pressed by itself then you need the full sequence but if Alt + ! or Alt + Shift + 1 are all pressed at once then T + M aren't needed, hence for me
Alt + ! + Y + 4 works just fine.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

I keep trying to save dimension files with alt-1-d-s. It's really annoying!

Redmond managed to save their own shortcuts (provided you could remember the sequence exactly), surely there must be a way for third parties to get in on that too.
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Christopher Kernahan
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Excel Version: Office 2010

Post by Christopher Kernahan »

As a followup to these posts, there is a way to obtain a much shorter shortcut to the Server Explorer.

In recent versions of Excel (I'm using 2010 but I think this would work in 2003 as well) you can add buttons to the Quick Access toolbar (right-click > Add to Quick Access Toolbar).

Once they've been added you can fire them with Alt + <number>.

For example, I've added the Server Explorer button and can now reach it with Alt + 4. Which is even shorter than the original - success!
shortcut.jpg
shortcut.jpg (15.28 KiB) Viewed 8158 times
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

Fantastic!! My eyes are a little sore from squinting at the TM1 icons cos they're all named "no label", but that's a small price to pay for being able to Alt+4 my way to saved dimensions. Hurrah!
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer