Suggest and discuss enhancements for TM1
gtonkin
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

RFE 101441-Sandboxes to allow overwrite of Cell Security

Post by gtonkin »

I have a model with various source e.g. Actuals, STP, What-if Base, What-if Final etc.
The idea is that Actuals and STP are secured via security but What-if Base is open for input after being populated from Actuals/STP.
Users can then fiddle around with the numbers in What-if Base before various rules carry these values through to What-if Final or derive ratios etc. into What-if Final. All has been good for the last 8 years within this model and as user "pull levers", so the results change and life is bliss.

What I would like to do for future models is be able to use Sandboxing to do away with the requirements for the various sources and have users change the base values in the sandbox, the rules fire off and the results updated within the sandbox. For most situations, simplistic What-if is required and does not warrant a full node analysis with rules to filter one change to multiple measures and multiple iterations etc.

To do this however means that the underlying source needs to stay read-only whilst the sandbox allows for write but not commit.
Has anyone else had this requirement? Been able to use sandboxes in this way?

Based on the feedback, I may raise an RFE otherwise go back to dreaming...
Last edited by gtonkin on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gabor
MVP
Version: [2.x ...] 11.x / PAL 2.0.9
Excel Version: Excel 2013-2016

Re: What-If scenarios with Sandboxes

Post by Gabor »

I've had this requirement from time to time, but never started to look for a workaround (except traditional what-if dim). Would like to have the ability, so my vote for a RFE.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: What-If scenarios with Sandboxes

Post by Wim Gielis »

For me as well, +1 !
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

OK, so a whopping 3 interested parties. I have logged the RFE being an optimistic soul that others will vote once logged.

jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: RFE 101441-Sandboxes to allow overwrite of Cell Security

Post by jim wood »

I've actually had a help desk ticket about this very subject brushed off last year. We have a project finish date that locks down entry for any time after that point. The users in sandbox want to change the date in the sandbox and enter data. They can change the date, but not the data. All access, security or rule based comes from the base. I've been told it how sandboxing was designed and to change it would require a complete rebuild of the functionallity. If they didn't put this in PA I wouldn't hold your breathe. While I'll add a +1 I doubt it will go anywhere soon.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

Thanks for the vote Jim-will definitely not hold my breathe! I would have loved to have been on whichever "group" IBM had when agreeing this new functionality. It would also be great if there was some user group that could give feedback into what IBM is proposing to build in the future, even if I need to sign NDAs etc. This way, people that develop/deploy/use the features would have a say in what the end product should offer.
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Agreed. I can see why security would be inherited by each sandbox, but values locked by rules? The scenario I mentioned above obviously wasn't taken in to account when the IBogLix boffin created it. It's something they should really think about now. After all a lot of models have actualization of forecast rules. The above stops the user being able to roll back in sandboxes.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
George Regateiro
MVP
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2007 SP3

Post by George Regateiro »

Voted and ask a couple extra people to vote for it. This is something we have talked about with product management for a while but never gained any traction.
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

Thanks George-appreciated-hopefully we will hit the radar! 8 Votes and counting.