Suggest and discuss enhancements for TM1
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

SubsetSortOrder

Post by jim wood »

I know this can be done with MDX, but if you're using MDX this command would be handy. We have it in the subset editor and we DimensionSortOrder, so why not do the same for subsets??

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Re: SubsetSortOrder

Post by lotsaram »

I can't see this idea flying. A subset is an ordered list of elements. Change the order of any of the elements and it is no longer the subset you started with.
Or maybe I just don't get the point?
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

Why does changing the order change the subset? If you create a list of 10 elements then order them alphabetically it's still the same 10 elements. I came across this as I'm creating a filtered list of elements to use for data validation. When finding a variance and exporting the details to a file it would have been nice if they were alphabetically ordered. As I mentioned you can do it in the subset editor easily (and I know you can do it with MDX) so why not have a command to do so?
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Post by lotsaram »

jim wood wrote:Why does changing the order change the subset? If you create a list of 10 elements then order them alphabetically it's still the same 10 elements. I came across this as I'm creating a filtered list of elements to use for data validation. When finding a variance and exporting the details to a file it would have been nice if they were alphabetically ordered. As I mentioned you can do it in the subset editor easily (and I know you can do it with MDX) so why not have a command to do so?
The same 10 elements may well be the same 10 elements but the order those same 10 elements 10 different ways and you have 10 distinct subsets. That's just the way it is. Think about when you are using the subset editor or cube viewer, if you start from a named subset and do anything with that list of elements then you are no longer working with the previously defined subset, hence the subset name will disappear from the view properties or you will be prompted to save changes to the subset when exiting subset editor.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

But if your're setting the subset order in the same tab within a TI is it really a different subset? I agree with what you're saying about the subset editor but it's not really relevant to what I'm suggesting with the command.
Shop at Amazon
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

jim wood wrote:But if your're setting the subset order in the same tab within a TI is it really a different subset? I agree with what you're saying about the subset editor but it's not really relevant to what I'm suggesting with the command.
You're talking about a TI command to do the sort order when you're creating the subset, yes? I don't see the problem with that. I understand Lotsaram's point that if you change the order of a saved subset, it becomes a new subset but you seem to be talking about doing it as part of the creation process, which is quite a different animal. (Alternatively there is no reason why it couldn't be updated and resaved using this function, just as you can update most subsets in TI.)

I can see some uses for that too.

But given that we can't even get Iboglix to create the long-wished for and multiply-requested SubIx function[1], then I wouldn't hold my breath for this one if I were you unless you have a lung capacity which exceeds that of an Olympic swimming team.

--------------
[1] To return at least the first appearance of an element in a subset, lest the fact that an element can appear multiple times is raised. How many times, how many times and by how many people must this be requested before it is given some attention??
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.