Post bug reports and the status of reported bugs
whitej_d
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2010

Server Instance loads wrong data directory TM1048745 019 866

Post by whitej_d »

This is an issue with Cognos Configuration and the way it tries to control Windows services relating to TM1 Server Instances - PMR 48745 019 866

Congos Configuration seems to create windows services pointing to the data directory specified in the TM1s.cfg file, as expected.

The problem is that a Server is deleted in Cognos Configuration, and then a new server is created with the same servername parameter as the old server, then Cognos Configuration will use the original service (which it does not delete when deleting the server instance resource). the original service still points to the old data directory. Despite what may be specified in the DataBaseDirectory in the TM1s.cfg file in the newly created server.

Exact steps to reproduce this problem are attached.

As far as I can see this makes currently using the Cognos Configuration utility highly risky in a development environment where server instances may be created, deleted and recreated from backups often.
Attachments
Cognos Configuration Starts Wrong windows service for server instances.docx
(57 KiB) Downloaded 540 times
Andy Key
MVP
Version: 2.5 to PA
Excel Version: Lots

Re: Server Instance loads wrong data directory TM1048745 019

Post by Andy Key »

If only someone had raised the fact that Cognos Configuration doesn't delete the Windows Service when you delete the entry in Cognos Configuration as a bug in Beta 1, then raised it again in Beta 2 - even though the original bug report had been closed, then it might have been fixed before the final code was released.

Oh no, hang on, I did.

Glad I bothered.
Andy Key
whitej_d
Community Contributor
Version: 10.2

Post by whitej_d »

After re-iterating this as a definite issue with IBM support they have now conceded that it is a bug and have referred it to the engineers. It seems initially they misunderstood the nature of this bug.

I shall be monitoring it on the PMR mentioned in the title - 048745 019 866
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1

Post by Steve Vincent »

Alternatively ignore the stupid, slow, full of errors conflabuirratator and stick with good ol' fashioned command lines :)
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet