Cognos Planning 8.3 complete installation guide

Jfar
OLAP Product: Cognos Planning
Version: 8.3
Excel Version: none

Cognos Planning 8.3 complete installation guide

Post by Jfar »

Hello,
I'm trying to install Cognos Planning 8.3 on a single computer with Windows 7 (64 bit) to try it. I already have a working Oracle instance that I can access.

I'm trying to install it for a week now, and I find the process very difficult. Is there somewhere a step by step tutorial? Using the documentation I can't understand some steps, for example it's not clear to me how to configure the web server.

I installed Cognos Configuration Manager, then the Analyst and the other components, then configured it to use the Oracle instance and BouncyCastle provider and it doesn't complain about that. The current error happens in the last bullet point in the Cognos Configurator service startup, "starting the service Cognos 8:8080", it remains working for a lot of time, then give this error:

Code: Select all

[Launching a JVM using 'Maximum memory in MB']
1. Successfully launched a test JVM with the memory setting of '768'. Note that this does not guarantee that Cognos 8 will start and run successfully. 

To see which JVM options are based on this setting, view c8_location/bin/bootstrap_<OS>.xml and see your JVM documentation for an explanation of those options.

[Archive Local File System Root]
1. Since the value is empty, the feature is disabled. There is nothing to test.

[Validate mail server properties.]
1. [ ERROR ] The mail server cannot be reached.

[Start Service]
1. 18:33:09, 'LogService', 'StartService', 'Success'.
2. 18:34:14, 'ContentManagerService', 'StartService', 'Success'.
3. 18:34:14, CM-SYS-5159 Content Manager is running in active mode.
4. 18:34:15, 'ContentManager', 'getActiveContentManager', 'Failure'.
DPR-CMI-4006 Unable to determine the active Content Manager. Will retry periodically.
5. 18:34:15, 'com.cognos.pogo.contentmanager.coordinator.ActiveCMControl', 'pogo', 'Failure'.
DPR-DPR-1035 Dispatcher detected an error.
DPR-DPR-1004 Expecting a BI Bus XML response but got:
6. [ ERROR ] CFG-ERR-0106 Cognos Configuration did not receive a response from the Cognos 8 service in the time allotted.
Check that Cognos 8 service is available and properly configured.
Now I installed Apache HTTP server 2.0 and followed this procedure and when I access http://localhost:8080/cognos8/cgi-bin/mod2_cognos.dll I see the error:

The Cognos gateway is unable to connect to the Cognos BI server. The server may be unavailable or the gateway may not be correctly configured. 
I googled it but none of the solutions seem to work. Reading the logs of Apache web server I see the error

[Thu Apr 04 15:26:29 2013] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/Program Files (x86)/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs/p2pd
repeated a lot of times, while the log gwmod2.log inside cognos log folder contains

11:08:41.407 - 4768 ERROR t:4012 error connecting to 127.0.0.1:9300
repeated many times.
As far as I understand how Cognos and Java web applications works, I assume there's some configuration lacking in Apache and/or in cognos to load the p2pd web app inside the server or to bind it to an URL, but I have no idea what this configuration should be.

In general, I'm confused about the general structure of Cognos components, I don't even know where to go looking for an overview starting from zero.
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: Cognos Planning 8.3 complete installation guide

Post by declanr »

There is a Cognos Planning section to this forum in http://www.tm1forum.com/viewforum.php?f=13 where this topic should have been posted but in reality I doubt that this site is your best bet for Cognos Planning help.
I have rarely been involved with Cognos Planning so I'm not 100% sure on what the best place to go for help would be but I believe the cognoise forum has a fairly substantial Cognos Planning user base.
Declan Rodger
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Cognos Planning 8.3 complete installation guide

Post by jim wood »

Post moved.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube