Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Java Home Strangeness in Cognos 10

Post by jim wood »

Guys,

A bit of a weird one.

I was having trouble connecting a data source so I changed the JAVA_Home variable from C:\installs\java\jdk1.6.0 to C:\installs\java\jdk1.6.0;C:\Program Files\IBM\C10\Bin\jre

It didn't seem to like this so I changed it to C:\installs\java\jdk1.6.0;C:\installs\java\jre\1.6.0

The Congos configuration manager didn't recognise the change. I had to remove the second setting completely.

It doesn't matter if you then go and put the second setting back in it doesn't recognise it. It still reverts to the original error.

I've tried this now with a couple of java homes and I get the same result,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
dkleist

Re: Java Home Strangeness in Cognos 10

Post by dkleist »

I don't think Java home is a set of libraries like path or classpath: I think it expects to resolve to a single location.

In any event, java home can be problematic for Cognos 10 - if you can avoid it, it's best not to set one at all for C10 servers. (C10 would then use it's own - the calls test for a java_home value and use the cognos install if one is not found).
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Java Home Strangeness in Cognos 10

Post by jim wood »

I'll try removing JAVA_Home as a test. The problem is that I have TM1 Contributor installed on the same box. That uses a seperate instance of Tomcat which needs the java home set. I do wonder if Big Blue tests having the same software on the same environment. If so, not very well.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube